SQUIRRELS!!!

I use to have a squirrel problem here..

I changed to a feeder about 16 inches in the air with small holes so the birds could not drop grain on the ground and the bushy tails could not get in..

Then I got a nasty predator and all the squirrels and about 200 chickens just vanished....

So it could be worse than just squirrels~! I wish I had the squirrels back now.
What do you do with that many chickens?

This summer (2017) we had about 15 squirrels raiding the coop, eating the food and keeping the hens from laying. We live in the western Washington forest. I walked into the coop to clean up one day and a squirrel sat in the feeder growling at me! Didn't know how aggressive the tree rats were. I tried to trap the squirrels the score me 0 squirrels 15. I did rid the coop of the infestation and the hens started laying again. I don't have a problem with squirrels until they slow egg production.... by the way they're only good in soup. Chickens rule!

Protector from Predators - Last Saturday I let the chickens free range. Living in the the forest on 8 acres we only have 1/2 acre cleared for the home, yard and parking. Sure we have owl's, hawks and eagles. We lost two hens last year to birds. We had wolves calling to each other after dark just beyond the coop and in the ravine in august. Black bear have crossed through the property. Coyotes, fox and bob cats come through every once in a while. But last Saturday I was doing some work by the wood pile between the hens and the forest. I heard a nasty growl...not a scream or roar. It was a mountain lion (Cougar)! It was within 30 feet of me but I couldn't see it behind the ferns and brush. I put the hens away immediately. I went out with the dog and an equalizer to see if I could scare it off. The big cat was gone. Fortunately Ft. Knox chicken coop/run is a safe house.

Protector from Predators - Last Saturday I let the chickens free range. Living in the the forest on 8 acres we only have 1/2 acre cleared for the home, yard and parking. Sure we have owl's, hawks and eagles. We lost two hens last year to birds. We had wolves calling to each other after dark just beyond the coop and in the ravine in august. Black bear have crossed through the property. Coyotes, fox and bob cats come through every once in a while. But last Saturday I was doing some work by the wood pile between the hens and the forest. I heard a nasty growl...not a scream or roar. It was a mountain lion (Cougar)! It was within 30 feet of me but I couldn't see it behind the ferns and brush. I put the hens away immediately. I went out with the dog and an equalizer to see if I could scare it off. The big cat was gone. Fortunately Ft. Knox chicken coop/run is a safe house.

The sound of a cougar screaming close by is something I will never forget. It gave my goose bumps goose bumps...not a fun sound.

My current coop was not built to be a deterrent to critters. I assure you the next one I build will be Ft. Knox. Im going to overdo everything. Im going to put real plywood, not sheeting, on the sides, and the celing. Then put tin on top of that plywood. IM going to put angle type sheet metal on every seam. Ill have a closed run on top. Then on the sides, ill dig a trench 8-12 inches deep and sink the wire into it then pour concrete into it. Nothing will dig in, or chew through. Ill use hardwire cloth for the first 3 feet if not the entire pen. Im tired of squirrels, rats, possums, and coons. The next time I build im doing it right. Im also running power and electricity into it. Ill have a brood box setup ready for the inside of my 8x16 foot coop. Im then going to paint it so it never has to be replaced. It will be epic. Im so irritated at the critters messing with my girls, including the coon that killed 2 and maimed 2 more. The maimed ones healed, but had nasty wounds.

My current coop was not built to be a deterrent to critters. I assure you the next one I build will be Ft. Knox. Im going to overdo everything. Im going to put real plywood, not sheeting, on the sides, and the celing. Then put tin on top of that plywood. IM going to put angle type sheet metal on every seam. Ill have a closed run on top. Then on the sides, ill dig a trench 8-12 inches deep and sink the wire into it then pour concrete into it. Nothing will dig in, or chew through. Ill use hardwire cloth for the first 3 feet if not the entire pen. Im tired of squirrels, rats, possums, and coons. The next time I build im doing it right. Im also running power and electricity into it. Ill have a brood box setup ready for the inside of my 8x16 foot coop. Im then going to paint it so it never has to be replaced. It will be epic. Im so irritated at the critters messing with my girls, including the coon that killed 2 and maimed 2 more. The maimed ones healed, but had nasty wounds.

Psssssst... Squirrels will chew right through the plywood...I bet half the squirrels own cutting torches,,..darn things.

I agree. I started out a little predator proof and hardened the structure. I made good use of used dog run chain link panels. Layers of 1/4" wire fabric and deer mesh. This keeps most predators out, but not all pests.

Back
Top Bottom