Squirrels

Chick15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
I have a squirrel that has been stealing food out of my chicken coop, what do i do? I've also been finding alot of cracked eggs, could this be the squirrel too?

A very effective, and fun, trap can be made by filling a 5-gallon bucket about half full of water, sprinkling sunflower seed on top to cover the water, (they float) and setting a few boards leading up to the top of the bucket like ramps. Greedy little b*****d jumps in to chow down on seeds......how long to you figure he can tread water? ANSWER: Not long enough. I once had a family of red squirrels living in a shed and I used this rig on them. It killed all three in one afternoon; there they were all lined up face down in the water. I "recycled" them as bait in my weasel boxes. This works wonderfully on chipmunks and field mice as well.

The best solution for egg eating squirrels is a Camo .177 Air Rifle. If you're a democrat, then a squirrel trap near the nest might be a good option for you. you can catch it and release it somewhere so it can bread and eat someone else's eggs. You know, pass the problem off to the next generation.
There's no need for the political jab.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool democrat, and I keep a Benjamin NPS .177 by the back door for dealing with squirrels and starlings.

I didn't know squirrels would eat eggs. Another darn predator to keep an eye on. Ugh!!
Squirrels eat anything they can get their mouths on - even baby birds.

Last edited:
I only have one laying hen at the moment and for the past week I couldn't find any eggs. But today I saw the pair of squirrels trying to take off with the egg!
he.gif
They'd shown up after my cat died last year and I never liked 'em, but now they've given me a reason not to share my land with them. Goodbye squirrel!

I was surprised to hear a squirrel could or even wanted to eat an egg...then I saw this picture a while back on the forum here. I googled it and found it again, shocking! Furry little carnivors!

hide.gif

Today I went down and a squirrel was in the feed can. The metal lid was off, the scoop chucked out and his little head was sticking out. What do I do? How can I make him leave the food alone?
:/:/

I had squirrels chew off plastic lids. A gun with a scope is best.In the winter it will be easier to get them wth traps.

Back
Top Bottom