Squrrill control

ga_goat

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Lowndes County Ga
I'm feeding about as many squrrills as chickens ,, any way to drive them off , tried treadel type walk in trap , caught 4 chickens - no squrrills , tried hanging old cd's and pie plates ,, didn't work , can't shoot them too many houses too close, except for 22 cal rat shot and that just makes them mad . tried floor sweepings from the barber shop - didn't work I have stood in my chicken pen and counted as many as 20 of them in the trees just outside the pen ,,, any ideas ?????

1200fps gamo air rifle....get pba pellets they fly faster and pack more punch...the gamo whisper is very quiet and very powerfull...any quiet air gun with at least 1000 fps will get the job done fast and quiet and are a blast to use....they also are great on grackles and starlings.

I will try that tho it isn't the noise that's the problem , no law/rule against shooting here it's just the location of the chicken pens , I keep a 12 gague in the feed room for dogs in the goat pen and have used it with no local ill effects.

Quote:
X2

also, do you own any dogs? cause really they are the best for squirrel control
wink.png

91292_squirrel_chow.jpg

we had doberman before we adopted 2 hounds & my dh was being funny w/ this pic
roll.png

Ditto on the gamo.

You could also secure your chicken feed with a counter weight chicken feeder. the feeder does not open unless a chicken is standing on the platform. There are plans in the coop forum.

we also feed squirls, crows, little tiny finches, raccoons, etc. you name it, they come into the yard. except for raccoons, none of them bother me. today my leghorn was in a chasing game with a crow. fun to watch. i could never shoot a squirl.

Use RAT traps in the trees baited with peanut butter.

Put some wire around your live trap with openings big enough for squirrels but too small for chickens.

If your trap is very big though, the squirrels may not be heavy enough to release the trigger

Back
Top Bottom