St. John's Wort

Pics
Maybe horses are different but if you keep a horse on black walnut shavings, they will founder, which is when to bone in their hoof detaches from the shell and can pierce the bottom of the hoof.

The plant part you are referring to is different. Plants can have toxic fruits or roots or bark or leaves or flowers yet have some other part safe to consume or use. Quantity, season, species, nutrition, and even recent weather events can make the difference between life and death.

In this case, the wood shavings themselves are not what is used as medicine, it's the oil of the nut itself. Black Walnut is use in humans to treat cancer as it's strongly anti-carcinogenic. For a disease that causes tumors to grow along neural pathways, Black Walnut makes sense as a treatment method.

Since it's a strong medicine it would make sense to not use the plant like a safer fodder or bedding plant may be used. Wormwood and Mugwort are potent medicines but if an animal is let to bed in them it can sustain neurological damage or other damage from overexposure.

Can anyone tell me how long I should dose my Jen with the hypericum? We are on day 6, and she is walking again! Still a little wobbly but she's progressing every day!!

If she's doing that well, you should probably stop the Hypericum. When ours had a big improvement, we stopped the Hypericum and switched to the Turmeric with Bioperene. Not that you necessarily have to switch to the Turmeric, but probably not a bad idea.

I have a chicken, about 6 months old that hasn't stood in 3 days. I have started giving her the St. John's Wort and she's been on it for 1.5 days. I am using a liquid version with low alcohol. The back says it has 1000 mg in 28 drops. I mix a tablespoon of distilled water and 20 drops hypericum. I give her half of that and I pour the rest in her water. She doesn't seem to be getting better. Is this going to work?

Last edited:
(Sorry about the double post... I thought my Internet was down)Do you have anything else? It cant be expensive because my dad said I have to pay for all the medicine for my chickens and I only have about 10 dollars. He doesn't believe in the alternative medicine stuff. But I really need my chicken to be okay.

Back
Top Bottom