St. John's Wort

Pics
For those in California, there are four labs that you can drop off at or send to using their FedEx account number, for which they will bill you $9 for under 5 pounds or $20 for under 10 pounds.

Labs are in Davis, Turlock, Tulare and San Bernadino. The labs I use most is Tulare, that's because they have a great avian pathologist there (H.L. Shivaprasad).

-Kathy

I finally got the Hypericum in, but I'm wondering if I should hold off on using it. My chick in question has been making steady progress everyday, and can now stand on both legs. Walking is still uncoordinated, but it can get to where it needs to in the brooder hutch. Everyday it is able to stand up taller.

I finally got the Hypericum in, but I'm wondering if I should hold off on using it. My chick in question has been making steady progress everyday, and can now stand on both legs. Walking is still uncoordinated, but it can get to where it needs to in the brooder hutch. Everyday it is able to stand up taller.

Well, only you can decide what to do there. If it's able to recover unassisted I'd probably let it be. Relapses aren't uncommon though so I'd prefer to have the Hypericum on hand just in case. Either way, it's not truly toxic, so if you felt like giving it some 'just in case' it shouldn't hurt.

Best wishes.

Well, only you can decide what to do there. If it's able to recover unassisted I'd probably let it be. Relapses aren't uncommon though so I'd prefer to have the Hypericum on hand just in case. Either way, it's not truly toxic, so if you felt like giving it some 'just in case' it shouldn't hurt.

Best wishes.
X2

I would watch her closely and if you see classic Mariks symptoms, begin treatment immediately. Our first one was sick for a month and we thought it was heat related because whenever the temp went over 100, she would become weak, wouldn't eat or drink. I hand fed her, kept her cool, and in a few days she would be walking and eating better. Then she'd go downhill again. She became so weak finally that we asked the lab to euthanize her and do the necropsy. It was Marek's with tumors on internal organs and her bones. The second one didn't show any symptoms until 2 days before she died, but she was suddenly paralyzed. Necropsy showed the same internal tumors. So far the 3rd one is responding well to the SJW treatment so we're hopeful. Only time will tell, but I didn't expect her to be alive the morning after I started treatment as she was so weak. She is showing no symptoms right now, after 5 days of treatment, but if she does, I will begin treatment again.

Back
Top Bottom