St. John's Wort

Pics
That's funny.
big_smile.png
Bottled water should say "purified" water on it, ideally. Some bottled water has minerals added to it for taste, and I think that cancels out the HP. But it will usually say whether it has something added to it or not.

I've noticed our Boo pullet doesn't seem to care for the taste of the vitamins either, but you can go the other route and mix some in her drinking water, I think it's two tbsp per gallon.
Yours might drink it that way.

With Peaches, she got worse after she got better, and I then started giving her tiny balls of buttermilk soaked bread, and also applesauce. She would open her beak and accept these, so I did not have to tube feed her. I added the probiotics to her applesauce or buttermilk. when she was stronger she ate these herself. Gradually she grew stronger. I also sometimes dripped a drop of vitamins on her tongue. Finally she got to the point where she was eating mash, then solid food. She is now back with the flock.
smile.png

Anyway, point being, keep trying. You will know when it's pointless. They do better sometimes with very liquid food, and they need the fluids more than solids, anyhow. Sometimes HP works, and sometimes it doesn't. But I think it is always worth trying, as we 've had good results with it twice.

The vaccine isn't working for a lot of people, but that happens with every vaccine for every strain of Marek's. They become useless over time. Why, I don't exactly know, but diseases change, viruses in particular adapt quickly, so unchanging prophylactics aren't going to remain relevant too long; also we're propagating enormous amounts of extremely susceptible animals using the vaccine to keep them alive to pass on their weak genetics. The disease itself keeps developing more virulent forms, but the weak genetics aren't getting any tougher. If things keep following this trajectory, well, it's a pretty apocalyptic scenario for a lot of genetic lines.

As chicknmania said, you will know when it's pointless. Until then all you can do is keep trying. Some of them really set foot over the threshhold of death's doorway before making a turnaround. Some just won't. Unfortunately you can't tell which is which unless you give them the chance.

Interesting note there about the applesauce and buttermilk soaked bread, I have always found most sick chickens almost no matter what's wrong will still enjoy apple, dairy and bread, long after they've stopped eating anything else normal. And hardboiled eggs of course. Just about always hard boiled eggs. :p

Best wishes.

That is interesting, because Boo was on her back this morning, very weak. She did not eat well yesterday. I had one HP tab left. So, I got her out, set her in the sun on a chair, and did the same as I did for Peaches...buttermilk soaked bread balls, and in this case finely minced grapes. And water. She was not so far gone that I felt I needed to tube feed her. She accepted the bread, milk, grapes, and water...a small amount of each. I then gave her the last of my Hypericum, and left her outside to enjoy the beautiful day in her crate, with a full waterer within reach. .

When I came home just now, she was standing up!

I got a new bottle of Hypericum, so here we go again.,....

I will try hard boiled egg, too, I have tried her with scrambled, but she didn't seem to like it. Most of them like scrambled, when they are sick, or otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement!
My girl Zelda I guess isn't as bad, because she is still eating. But now she can't seem to take a step without falling over, so the problem is getting to the food and water. Even when I set her right in front of it, it isn't long before she tries to get up and crashes, putting the food out of reach (or knocking it over), and wasting energy helplessly struggling. I just had to go out of town for 2 nights and have someone watch her, and I think she spent a lot of the time on her side. But it is hard, I have to constantly monitor her and pick her up. I've read before that he cause of death in Marek's is usually starvation/dehydration after the paralysis.
My big fear is that the other 4 I got at the same time are going to fall sick as well, and that it's just a matter of time.

Well, they might get it, and they might not. This is the first time ever that I've had several chickens come down with it, within a short period of time. Mine were all in the same brood, as I said. But I've had others in the past where one would get it, the rest of the flock would be fine, and I would never have another case of it for years. As it's been said before on here...either they develop an immunity, or they don't.

Boo has responded a little bit to the HP. She is eating on her own again, and drinking. But still just the very soft food, the soaked bread, mostly. And she can only eat a little bit, and after she does, she acts exhausted, she usually falls asleep for awhile.I'm debating whether or not to cull her, but I hate to, since she's showing some improvement.

i'm leaning towards putting Zelda down, but it's such a hard decision. Yesterday I must have picked her up (after she tips over) at least 50 times - she has trouble just sitting, it seems . Now she's getting less interested in food, especially water or even the soaked oatmeal. She did eat some hard boiled egg, but she keeps refusing the hypericum mix and knocking it out of my hand.

I'm holding her in my lap and petting her now, which seems to make her happy, but she smells so bad (from pooping on herself) it's making me sick! It's almost burning my nose, so I figure it's bad for her, too, but I've thought trying to bathe her would only be traumatic. Also it's got cold here lately. Any thoughts on bathing?

My girl is showing symptoms associated with Marek's, though mostly tumors. She is only now today showing minor balancing issues. Is it too late for treatment once she develops tumors?

She's been quite lethargic for three days now, but she is eating, drinking and pooping. She is now outside on the lawn standing up in the sun, occasionally lies down to rest, but gets up again to take a few steps and stretch. I gave her the first dose of hypericum about 30 minutes ago.

Last edited:
It is a hard decision, but I made it for Boo this past Friday. I felt she was suffering, and I had to go out of town for a couple of days, and I didn't want the person taking care of our animals to have to deal with her, so I dropped her off at the vet on Friday before I left. They are kind and humane with chickens, the vet has them herself.
hmm.png
If it gets to where they can't eat and drink, I most of the time feel that it's kindest to put them to sleep. You can tube feed, and it isn't difficult but I always think it must be stressful for the bird, and I never had any luck with saving a birds' liffe that way.

Five Chickens, I agree, if you're going to try it, try it right now, and keep going with it for a while. It might not be too late.

Back
Top Bottom