Staggered hatch help please...

Chickhatchfever

Songster
5 Years
May 16, 2019
Another hen joined in on my broody hen about a week after she started. Two eggs were laid at some point. The original hens eggs hatched. Both hens came off the nest and are sharing the chicks. I took the two remaining eggs and candled them. they’re both alive and maybe a day or two apart. I’m thinking somewhere between 14 and 18 days. My question is when do I stop turning, add in the hatching Matt and increase the humidity? I have a Brinsea mini II advance.

There's a paper floating around somewhere that says you can stop turning eggs at day fourteen with no noticeable effects (up until then, it's best to turn as often as possible) They should hatch between days nineteen and twenty-one. i used to up the humidity as soon as I was able to hear tapping when I held the egg to my ear, but if you don't want to go that route, most prefer to increase humidity starting day eighteen.

There's a paper floating around somewhere that says you can stop turning eggs at day fourteen with no noticeable effects (up until then, it's best to turn as often as possible) They should hatch between days nineteen and twenty-one. i used to up the humidity as soon as I was able to hear tapping when I held the egg to my ear, but if you don't want to go that route, most prefer to increase humidity starting day eighteen.
Thank you! That is very helpful… I won’t turn them, keep them on the hatching mat and raise the humidity and cross all of my fingers!

So today July 7 one of my two eggs hatched. It looks like I was closer to 14 days than 18 days when I candled the first time. I’m wondering how long I should wait to move the one chick out and the candle the remaining egg to see if it still alive? Also the hatched chick keeps hanging around the unhatched egg and I’m wondering if the chick would be doing that if the unhatched egg was not alive. does anybody have any input?

So today July 7 one of my two eggs hatched. It looks like I was closer to 14 days than 18 days when I candled the first time. I’m wondering how long I should wait to move the one chick out and the candle the remaining egg to see if it still alive? Also the hatched chick keeps hanging around the unhatched egg and I’m wondering if the chick would be doing that if the unhatched egg was not alive. does anybody have any input?
As long as you don't see an external pip, I would go ahead and candle it. You can also listen for peeps and gently tap to see if it taps back.

Back
Top Bottom