Standard Duccles??

Holew-L

Chirping
Mar 13, 2018
Wisconsin
I have always liked duccle's, millie fluer duccle's have always caught my eye! I also like standard sized birds better than bantam sized birds. Could I "make" standard sized duccle or is there some type of bantam/ Standard gene that would not make this possible? Could I take Millie fluer bantam and a cochin standard, pick out millie fluer traits and breed bacl the best specimins. Breed those crosses back to the first millie fluer x cochin and keep going until it is a good product?

replies would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you want a standard sized d’Uccle, research the body type of d’Uccles extensively and choose a standard sized breed of chicken with the most similar type and least likely to have issues to fix later on. Cochins wouldn’t be a great choice because their body type is highly different from duccles.

I'd cross with buff brahmas.
Find some with vulture hocks and breed to keep them.
Pea comb isn't big problem. Its dominate so in a few generations start keeping just the single combs. They'll be pure for single if they have one.
The MF pattern would be easier to get back to with the buff columbian pattern.
Its close and doesn't have a bunch of unwanted genes to breed out.
Of course breed back to the MF shape, get rid of pea comb, keep vulture hocks and get mottling back to pure.
Size difference will be the first hurdle. Use a MF rooster and give him a hand up :confused:
Sounds like a fun project hope you get there.

Cross between Millie Fleur Leghorns and Faverrolles may work as well, but you may have to "import" vulture hocks from Breda maybe. Breda and Leghorn have closer body type to D'uccle.

Back
Top Bottom