Stands but doesnt walk chicken need help

New2chicluv

Songster
Apr 14, 2018
Elk County, PA
I have a 4.5 yr old black sex link chicken stands for short periods but doesnt walk much at all without using wings then sort of hops. Lays on ground most of the time. She is very alert, eats, drinks, poops going on 3 months now. Ive tried a sling, which she hated. St johns wort & ACV. I keep her isolated so she cant get attacked from the other chickens. My 1 eye blind silkie keeps her company and it hasnt effected her. I have no idea whats wrong with her. Any ideas?

She could have suffered an injury or have a reproductive infection, tumor, or internal laying that is putting pressure on leg nerves. She is a bit old to come down with Mareks disease unless a carrier was added to the flock shortly before her symptoms started.

She could have suffered an injury or have a reproductive infection, tumor, or internal laying that is putting pressure on leg nerves. She is a bit old to come down with Mareks disease unless a carrier was added to the flock shortly before her symptoms started.
She hasnt laid in months. No new chickens since last October when we added 4 chicks. I had her in the house the 1st month, now Thelma Lou is in a large dog cage with Stella in the shed. I carry her out every day to a fenced area in the chicken run & put her back in, in the evening. Today she did something to her toenail so she in the house again while it heals. Because shes on the ground so much her hiney gets poopy and she has to be cleaned off, every few days. She knows her name and talks. I just dont know how long to leave her like this.

Back
Top Bottom