Stapling (attaching) hardware cloth

I used a pneumatic stapler and a TON of staples, then used 1" furring strips and a pneumatic nail gun to further secure them and make it look nicer. We have a really lazy bear that comes around occasionally, so I wanted to make sure it would deter him if he tried pushing it. So far it has held against my two 75 lbs dogs jumping on it.

The staples I used were like 3/4" or so. Just enough to get through the siding and into the framing. I mashed my fingers a few times, till I saw somewhere the proper way to hammer staples. You don't hold them like a nail, you turn your hand palm up, and hold the staple between your middle and index fingers. That way makes driving staples a whole lot easier and pain free.
Jack
That's how you do it?! I wish I knew that about 1,200 staples ago! We used the hammer-in ones as well and were quite damaged in the process. They were nice and secure but a lot of work. I think I would have preferred something I could drill in like the washer deal.

I mashed my fingers a few times, till I saw somewhere the proper way to hammer staples. You don't hold them like a nail, you turn your hand palm up, and hold the staple between your middle and index fingers. That way makes driving staples a whole lot easier and pain free.

I know this is old, but that is also the proper (or at least less painful) way to hold nails when driving...

I was taught to drive nails like that as a child, and have seen my share of experienced carpenters scold newbies when they pinched a nail, and then laugh at the newbie when they smash their thumb/finger, with "I told you"

Quote: Or even better yet.....avoid staples and nails all together and use screws....
big_smile.png
....I hold the screws like that too tho.

i attach mine first stapling them to the frame with 1/2 in staples. Then I take furring strips or 1/2 thick strips cut from the skinny side of a 2x4 place them over and secure then with 1 1/2 in to 3 in nail depending on the frame.

After using staples to get it in place I used "U" nails. Hardware cloth is not as sturdy as wound chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom