Starbirds Chickens

Ahh so cool! I love silkens, and sighthounds in general, you have some really pretty silkens!
Thank you! Silkens are totally my favorite breed if you couldn't tell šŸ˜† Those three are, from left to right, Maestro, Sage, and Sugar. Maestro is Sugar's dad, and Sage and Maestro are cousins. Sugar has a neurological disorder called Cerebellar Hypoplasia and they all actually came from a pretty bad situation.. I can share that story if anyone is interested lol. I have two main interests- Silkens and chickens so it's hard to shut me up about them!

Thank you!

I was really torn on brown red vs wheaten for cheetah. With your input, my guess is wheaten. Do you think the babies will give more insight on the coloring? I am hoping so.. most of the silkie/ee mixes are looking like the sort of color that he expressed as a baby.

Baby Cheetah
View attachment 3458947

As for Blue, here is another picture of her. I never really felt like splash was correct, but I am having a hard time finding pictures to compare her to or a chicken that looks similar enough.

View attachment 3458935
Her neck is lighter now than it was in this picture.. and you can see the black tail feathers.. does this change your thought, or do you still think columbian with some random spots? (I am genuinely asking, I don't have experience with columbian coloring, and have no idea what to call her color, so I truly appreciate your input! šŸ’š)

I also know that Easter Eggers don't always have "actual colors", so there's that dilemma lol šŸ˜†
Their patterns arenā€™t perfect because theyā€™re mixed. Wheaten and duckwing males look the same, and itā€™s possible Cheetah has genes for both wheaten, duckwing, and other patterns. However, he isnā€™t brown red because he does have a wing triangle (brown reds are ā€œcrow wingā€ and donā€™t have a wing triangle). Blue has that extra leakage because sheā€™s technically incomplete columbian, not a ā€œperfectā€ columbian, and probably has genes for other patterns as well. If you want to see a similar coloration, take a look at coronation (lavender silver columbian) sussexes. (Keep in mind that your hen is blue, not lavender.)

WEEK 3 UPDATE

Back again!

Klim (Silkie) x Wheaten or Cheetah (Easter Egger)
View attachment 3465172

We thought this one was a cockerel, but now compared to the others, maybe there is a chance its a pullet!? Legs are thinner than the others.

View attachment 3465173
Thinner legs make me feel pullet. Crossing fingers.
View attachment 3465186
Cockerel (probably)
View attachment 3465187
This one has been dubbed "Friendly" because it is well.. super friendly! Seems pullet-like.
View attachment 3465189
Cockerel (probably)

ā˜†

Blue (Easter Egger) x Wheaten or Cheetah (Easter Egger)

View attachment 3465190
Cockerel
View attachment 3465191
I have faith that this one is a pullet.
View attachment 3465195
I feel like this one could go either way.
View attachment 3465193
I bet this one is a cockerel.

ā˜†

Zeeb (Old English Bantam) x Wheaten or Cheetah (Easter Egger)
View attachment 3465196
Beez. Please be a pullet!

ā˜†

Mostaccioli (Mystic Maran) x Wheaten or Cheetah (Easter Egger)
View attachment 3465198
Cockerel
View attachment 3465201
Cockerel (100%)
View attachment 3465203
Please be a pullet :-(

ā˜†

Not bred by me additions:

Purebred Silkie
View attachment 3465207
Full name: Twisted Transistor. Nickname: Twisty.
Her face looks twisted. If it turns into a cross beak we will cull. :-(
But she does look like a pullet.

ā˜†

Silkie/Barred Rock
View attachment 3465211
Cockerel (100%)
Trying to find him a home, but if he does not find someone who wants the color in their flock, we already know we will cull, as we don't want this color.

ā˜†

TSC Silkie
View attachment 3465215
Sour Cream. I feel confident still that she is a pullet. Love that she has feathered legs even if they're not the best ever. Maybe lacking a beard, but looks like she maybe has a muff??? (Interesting.)

ā˜†

Old English Bantam
View attachment 3465217
Stella. Fairly confident that she is also a pullet. Look at that hen stance! We also made sure to get one with dark eyeliner... apparently you can sex them that way. So far it has held true for us. So curious what color this one is!

ā˜†

Sebrights
View attachment 3465218
Concrete.

View attachment 3465219
Butter.

aaand
Here is the new brooder!

View attachment 3465220
They love the space! Maybe I'll have some candid pics for you soon.
Sour Cream looks so good!
Iā€™m gonna guess Stella is a bb red oeb. Sheā€™s so cute!

Their patterns arenā€™t perfect because theyā€™re mixed. Wheaten and duckwing males look the same, and itā€™s possible Cheetah has genes for both wheaten, duckwing, and other patterns. However, he isnā€™t brown red because he does have a wing triangle (brown reds are ā€œcrow wingā€ and donā€™t have a wing triangle). Blue has that extra leakage because sheā€™s technically incomplete columbian, not a ā€œperfectā€ columbian, and probably has genes for other patterns as well. If you want to see a similar coloration, take a look at coronation (lavender silver columbian) sussexes. (Keep in mind that your hen is blue, not lavender.)
I thought so, about their patterns being imperfect! When I was trying to figure out their colors, I couldn't even find any roosters that looked like Wheaten (which is so funny that I named him that when that is not his color, but Cheetah's possibly instead haha).. I am sure they exist, but maybe not as a color name? I can't wait to see the patterns they produced in this batch.

I thought Cheetah was the dad to most, but the Wheaten baby look-a-like makes me think Wheaten was more successful than it seemed (Cheetah was a horndog, hence our balding hens.)

Thank you so much for the information! To my untrained eye, Brown Red and Wheaten are very similar, so I wasn't sure what I was looking for. You've been so helpful! That makes sense about Blue too. Thank you! How interesting. I really like Blue's colors, so I'm happy to know more about it. šŸ’š

Sour Cream looks so good!
Iā€™m gonna guess Stella is a bb red oeb. Sheā€™s so cute!
Isn't she so cute? She has The Silkie Temperament too, almost more than Twisty who is from a breeder. Sour Cream is a little angel and I demand she be a pullet!!

That will be awesome if Stella is that color! I'm pleased that she's different than Zeeb- I love the variation. She is SO cute, and soooo small. But brave!

Back
Top Bottom