Start of my Flight

TTeddy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Avon Valley, Western Australia
Purchased my pair of Saxony Bantams some months ago.
Enjoyed the eggs. I have always had chooks, I grew up with chooks. Now is the time to make a change and I love them. I love the eggs. They make gorgeous sponges etc (or perhaps it's my good cooking
wink.png

Was thrilled when I learned that Mrs Duck was sitting on 8 eggs.
WOW, your going to be a grandma everyone said.

Exactly 28 days after I noticed she was sitting, 8 hatching's made it into this world.

On day three and four there were storms and I lost three of them. They had shelter, so I'm not sure exactly what happened.
On day four I was advised to remove the ducklings from the parents. Apparently Saxony's don't make first time round good mothers and the drakes have been known to kill the ducklings. Which makes me wonder. I cannot find one of the ducklings, I wonder if he ate it? They're not in a huge pen and I have looked in all the nooks and crannies with no success.
Morning after the storms when i checked on them, one of them had been scalped, like all the fur on the back of it's head had been pulled off and there was just red raw skin showing. I immediately removed the duckling to deal with it.
I watched her with them and she did get nasty with them, and the drake never really cared, he just walked on them if they got in his way. Which makes me wonder.

Anyway, the night I removed them I noticed the smallest one kept sitting down. I took them inside and popped them all together in a box. It's summer here, so I didn't feel any source of heat was necessary. They could keep each other warm. and they have done.

Day 5: The smallest one was very week. I couldn't do anything to help. It was just a matter of time. I had to go out this day. I didn't want to, but kind of glad I did, I needed cheering up. The little one only lasted another hour or two. It was the cutest too
hit.gif

So here it is, Day 8: I have four healthy little ducklings. They are slowly becoming tame.
The head on the little one is looking so much better. I made a small transportable pen for them so I can move them inside and out.
I'm thinking of shutting the dogs and cats outside and let them go in the house for a bit.
I have been feeding them mostly Pollard but I read from a manufacture of pollard that it shouldn't be given to very young stock. I'm grinding duck crumble for them and adding it to the pollard.

What do you feed your ducklings?

I fed my ducklings turkey-waterfowl starter crumbles, then moved to duck grower pellets after about three weeks. I added some chopped rolled oats (not instant) to their feed to adjust protein levels.

Is pollard still from tree fodder, or is it something else? I am in New England, U.S., and we don't have that as a feed option. I like to learn as much as I can about feed, regardless of region.

I fed my ducklings turkey-waterfowl starter crumbles, then moved to duck grower pellets after about three weeks. I added some chopped rolled oats (not instant) to their feed to adjust protein levels.

Is pollard still from tree fodder, or is it something else? I am in New England, U.S., and we don't have that as a feed option. I like to learn as much as I can about feed, regardless of region.

After posting this thread I found some great info on duck diet. My sister recommended that I got Pollard for the ducklings. I wanted to know more about it and after some study and contacting a manufacture of Pollard (especially when I read directions for use below), he told me that giving it to my babies may kill them by clogging up their little nostrils. Now, I know a little about ducks and if I never gave them water with their food, then I would say that that could be possible.
Anyway, they are more than a week old now and I've started to add other feed and so I give them 80% duck crumble (grounded down more) and 20% Pollard. I'm also introducing vegetables slowly with that.

I want to get hold of some Apple Cider vinegar as well but it's as scarce as hens teeth at the moment due to the poor harvests. Looks like a waiting game for that..
Here's some info on Pollard for you

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Wheat pollard is a by-product of the flour milling of grain.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
• Wheat pollard is very palatable and can be used in diets of
pigs, poultry, ruminants and horses of all ages. However due
to its bulkiness and high fiber content, it is not suggested for
use in diets for very young stock.
• Its bulkiness could also limit its use in diets fed to poultry
using automatic feeding equipment where ‘bridging’ in feed
bins can result. Levels up to 15 percent will not usually
cause these problems, but this may vary depending on the
characteristics of the feed bin in use.

LIMITATIONS
• The bulkiness could limit its use in feed with automatic
feeding equipment.
• It is suggested that wheat pollard not be fed to very young
stock.

Today I let them have a swim in deeper water. They loved it...soo cute!!. They could stand in it so I'm going to have to set up their pond soon enough. I need to expand my duck pen and I won't get any help with that until Christmas, so by the time it's finished they will be ready for it.
I will try to take some more photo's in the next day or two
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks, TTeddy, are they getting chick grit, or a little "clean" soil? By clean, I mean, no pesticides or other toxins. I think it's Miss Lydia who has given ducklings a bit of sod - - - grass, roots and soil - - - to start them off. They need something in their tummies to chew with, especially with foods other than crumbles or pellets. I just bought a little bag of chick grit and sprinkled a teaspoon on their crumbles once a day.

Back
Top Bottom