Started construction on my first coop

HandsomeRyan

Renaissance man
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Music City, USA
Howdy all,

With almost a dozen ladies in the brooder I knew I needed to get something going on building a proper coop/run for them. While framing and wood construction are not something I have a lot of experience with, I am fortunate to have a large workshop full of tools and some handy friends who have made this go pretty smoothly so far.

The cool will be based loosely on several of the other coops I have seen on here. It will be about 6.5' deep and 12' wide with the coop section being 6.5'x5'.

It will have 4 nest boxes blown out the western (left) wall. There is a 32x22" slider window on the front. There will be close-able screened vents on the front and back near the top. I am planning on putting in two 3x3 cleanout doors, one on the back and one inside the run on the east (right) coop wall next to the pop door.

The roof will be metal and sloped back.

I know everyone says I am supposed to use hardware cloth and not chicken wire but because of the enormous cost difference I am planning to use chicken wire for the run (I will use hardware cloth for covering the vents/windows on the coop itself). My next door neighbor keeps chickens who are outside all day in a run made of chicken wire and he has done this for years and never lost a bird or even had anything make it through the wire. I am willing to accept the risk which I believe to be minimal in my particular case.

I need to finish framing the back wall and get the door and window installed in the front wall but here are a couple pictures of the walls in progress. I am having a few friends come over on Saturday and I hope to get the walls moved into place, secured together and get roof put on. Maybe we'll get the coop floored and get the walls skinned as well. Then Mrs. HandsomeRyan has offered to paint it. I was thinking red with white trim but she is more interested in whit with hunter green trim. Happy wife, happy life.

On with the pictures...

This is the front wall. The framing above the window will be a vent with a flap so it can be opened/closed and hopefully keep rain out. The other side of the door has one additional stud in the middle of that open space now as well.

This is the beautiful Mrs. HandsomeRyan holding up the left side wall. The coop nest boxes will pop out from the opening in the center of that wall. The coop will reside up the hill on the flat spot of land just above my wife's head in this picture.

And finally, the coop's future occupants..

It sounds and looks well thought out! You may be fine with just chicken wire. You can get a 50 ft. roll of 2x4 welded wire fence at any box store pretty cheap (under $25) and run that at the bottom of your run fencing to double reinforce if want more security. Hardware cloth would be better but it can be pricey unless you find a deal. I use heavy no-climb horse fence along with chicken wire for my run.

Great start..... Oh and great looking PEEPS!!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Haha! Me too! And I need for the thaw to come so we can start! I have a lot of recycled wood to rehab! Hurry up warmer weather!
I want to use the dog run as a work area so I can set up a small work table which will be safe from the dogs who would for sure knock everything over.
But the run is frozen in ice! I'm sitting on my hands here! lol
barnie.gif

I should clarify, I live in a townhouse and my neighbors are just as excited as we are to get the chicks. Only the dog run, which I purchased from the former neighbors when they moved out, is situated right outside their back door and blocks of part of the window. We had too many other yard projects going on last year (buckthorn removal
he.gif
and trees down) to even think about moving it before winter. So there it sits. Frozen in time. lol

I can so relate to your frozen in time comment, I spent the weekend building a chicken coop for my soon to own chickens, but right now everything is snow and Ice up here. My coop is just sitting in the trailer WAITING for some warm weather so I can paint and place

Last edited:
Your coop looks great so far! I hope mine turns out as well. lol
I want to make it about that size with a single sloped roof, which I would like to eventually try to make into a green roof.
But that will be next season's project. lol

Your coop looks great so far! I hope mine turns out as well. lol
I want to make it about that size with a single sloped roof, which I would like to eventually try to make into a green roof.
But that will be next season's project. lol

Funny you should mention green roofing because I considered doing that too but I decided it is a big area to cover and I didn't want to have to reinforce the structure enough to support that much growing medium + potential snow loads. I think green roofs are a great idea for helping to regulate temperatures inside the coop, but I think they would be easier to implement on a smaller scale. Maybe if I build a second smaller coop I'll implement some sort of green roofing into it.

I'm sure your coop will be great green roof or not! I just started with an idea of what I wanted and just added one piece of wood at a time until it looked right. I think by the time this coops is done I'll be into it for about $700-$750 but we scored good deals on the door/window from a salvage place. If I were starting over, I'd give serious consideration to framing with 2x3's instead of 2x4's but other than that I don't think I'd change a thing.

Back
Top Bottom