Started feed suggestions!

ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
So our 2 baby goslings at the moment aren’t at all interested in chick feed which was originally suggested to us, but after doing more research it looks like people are against using chick feed because it’s not enough for them (don’t worry it’s not medicated so nothing dangerous in it)

I’m just asking suggestions for what feeds are suggested for people who raise goslings? They’re only about 2/3 days old now and I saw one that said muzuri(?) I think starter feed but it’s just not available here in the uk so I was wondering if there were any other brands that were as good!
Also was wondering whether or not you guys ferment your food or not, we tried fermented/soaked but they didn’t seem interested and seem to favour the dry over it.
We found out they like lettuce a lot too and are going to try some other treats if you have recommendations!
I’m also wondering if there’s anything you guys mix into your feed, I heard someone mixes in rolled oats with theirs is that a good idea?
Or maybe they just don’t eat much at their young age.. either way I’m very worried and would like to get a good stater feed asap! 🩷

Since I have a mixed flock I use the starter when I have duckling chicks or goslings. I just make sure to add Nutritional yeast to their feed because chicken feed doesn't have the niacin that waterfowl needs. 1 Tab to each cup of feed. Some use Brewer's yeast if you decide to use it make sure it actually has niacin in it.
If your feeding anything else like chopped-up lettuce make sure it's the leafy kind at least it has nutrients in it the head lettuce is mainly water. Also, they need chick grit to help them process the lettuce or any other treats you give them. They don't need it with their starter.

Since I have a mixed flock I use the starter when I have duckling chicks or goslings. I just make sure to add Nutritional yeast to their feed because chicken feed doesn't have the niacin that waterfowl needs. 1 Tab to each cup of feed. Some use Brewer's yeast if you decide to use it make sure it actually has niacin in it.
If your feeding anything else like chopped-up lettuce make sure it's the leafy kind at least it has nutrients in it the head lettuce is mainly water. Also, they need chick grit to help them process the lettuce or any other treats you give them. They don't need it with their starter.
Thank you!!

(don’t worry it’s not medicated so nothing dangerous in it)
I just want to add that the ”medicated feed is toxic to waterfowl” thing is an urban legend. The anti-coccidia medications in it aren’t toxic to waterfowl. What‘s causing people’s ducklings and goslings to fall ill while on it is the low amount of B vitamins in it as well as other vitamins.
Niacin, thiamine, Vitamin E + other vitamin deficiency symptoms resemble some sort of neurological poisoning.

I just want to add that the ”medicated feed is toxic to waterfowl” thing is an urban legend. The anti-coccidia medications in it aren’t toxic to waterfowl. What‘s causing people’s ducklings and goslings to fall ill while on it is the low amount of B vitamins in it as well as other vitamins.
Niacin, thiamine, Vitamin E + other vitamin deficiency symptoms resemble some sort of neurological poisoning.
Ah okay thank you!! Do you mind me asking but are there any waterfowl / geese specific brands of started feed I should look into that provide most of what they need? I was hoping for any suggestions as we don’t have a mixed flock, we mainly raise geese 🩷

So our 2 baby goslings at the moment aren’t at all interested in chick feed which was originally suggested to us, but after doing more research it looks like people are against using chick feed because it’s not enough for them (don’t worry it’s not medicated so nothing dangerous in it)

I’m just asking suggestions for what feeds are suggested for people who raise goslings? They’re only about 2/3 days old now and I saw one that said muzuri(?) I think starter feed but it’s just not available here in the uk so I was wondering if there were any other brands that were as good!
Also was wondering whether or not you guys ferment your food or not, we tried fermented/soaked but they didn’t seem interested and seem to favour the dry over it.
We found out they like lettuce a lot too and are going to try some other treats if you have recommendations!
I’m also wondering if there’s anything you guys mix into your feed, I heard someone mixes in rolled oats with theirs is that a good idea?
Or maybe they just don’t eat much at their young age.. either way I’m very worried and would like to get a good stater feed asap! 🩷
Our pilgrims love Manna pro starter. They look gorgeous at 5 weeks old. They are lovable and happy but perhaps this feed affected their behavior, resulting in excess of stubbornness, attitude and cuteness!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom