Started laying and then stopped?

lillydragon19

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
California
I have a black australorp in my 5 hen flock that started laying and then stopped. She’s just over 5 months old and is with 4 Americaunas who are 6 months old. The other girls started laying all blue eggs so I knew any brown egg would be the australorp. So I was happy to see the little brown egg one day on July 26th. I got a second one on July 28th and nothing since. All the other hens are laying regularly and none of them are showing any signs of being sick, picking on each other, or being lethargic.

I’m inclined to think she just got started and then wasn’t quite ready. Has anyone else had this happen early in laying? Any recommendations for me to check on with her? I was just giving her time but 13 days seems like a lot lol.

Additional note, she’s the only black hen in a flock of light colored birds. But there are lots of trees and shade in the yard and our temps haven’t gone above 90. I’ve also checked the yard to see if there are any eggs hiding around. Her first two were laid in the nesting box with the rest of them.

I have the same problem with one of my quail. I think it was stress caused, but it's been a full three weeks. I think it might be because it's winter, but she basically laid eggs for two days then stopped.

I’ve also checked the yard to see if there are any eggs hiding around.
They can be very sneaky.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I’ve had the same issue with one of my now year old Olive egger and 6 month old hen (not sure of breed, I’m new to this!). The OE laid from 5 months old up until a month ago I stopped getting eggs in the nesting box. The 6 month old hen I believe laid a few times but nothing for about 2 weeks. The only hen laying is her sister from the same batch and she has been consistent. It has been very hot and humid here in FL so I’m wondering if that is why. I left the 2 who have not been laying locked in the coop today and got nothing. I will try again tomorrow.

I have had some that laid a few then went broody. They will do what they do. Just feed well, supply lights, (12hrs a day), and try putting fake eggs in nest.

Same issue. All three of my birds hatched 2/22. The australorp and yellow americana started laying about Mid July. almost every day. Two weeks ago they just stopped all the sudden. Both of them. No secret nests, no visible health issues. Little brown (the other americana) still hasn't even started laying yet. she looks smaller, so I wonder if being a runt means she won't lay?

black.jpg

brown.jpg

Same issue. All three of my birds hatched 2/22. The australorp and yellow americana started laying about Mid July. almost every day. Two weeks ago they just stopped all the sudden. Both of them. No secret nests, no visible health issues. Little brown (the other americana) still hasn't even started laying yet. she looks smaller, so I wonder if being a runt means she won't lay?

View attachment 3634229
View attachment 3634230
My quail took a break because of winter and moving I think. They are laying now. I'm not sure about the runt thing, I guess I might find out. I have a runty 4 week old quail whose gender I'm not sure of.

I have a black australorp in my 5 hen flock that started laying and then stopped. She’s just over 5 months old and is with 4 Americaunas who are 6 months old. The other girls started laying all blue eggs so I knew any brown egg would be the australorp. So I was happy to see the little brown egg one day on July 26th. I got a second one on July 28th and nothing since. All the other hens are laying regularly and none of them are showing any signs of being sick, picking on each other, or being lethargic.

I’m inclined to think she just got started and then wasn’t quite ready. Has anyone else had this happen early in laying? Any recommendations for me to check on with her? I was just giving her time but 13 days seems like a lot lol.

Additional note, she’s the only black hen in a flock of light colored birds. But there are lots of trees and shade in the yard and our temps haven’t gone above 90. I’ve also checked the yard to see if there are any eggs hiding around. Her first two were laid in the nesting box with the rest of them.
Any update? Having the same issue here and trying to figure out why!

Back
Top Bottom