Starting a coop build, it is my first build and first chickens so feedback is very welcome

I have this. And found batteries.
Only one device, though. Alternating inside and outside will have to be enough.

Attachments

• E2861944-F394-4479-BF7F-5FB9295CA51D.jpeg
    E2861944-F394-4479-BF7F-5FB9295CA51D.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 2
Ugh. The outside of the package didn't say anything about temperature range. The package insert directions say it works between 32F and 122F. It is currently somewhere around 14F here.

I can't tell if it will measure humidity without being able to measure temperature.

Since the package is opened now, I guess I will try it and see.

It is also supposed to be put in a dust-free location - :lau on finding that in the coop. Probably a little while in a dusty location won't hurt it too badly. I'll start with outside.

It seems it will have to wait until the January thaw. We usually get above freezing for at least a little while the last half of Jan or early Feb.

Outside steadied at 28F and 16 percent relative humidity. I know that isn't right.... lots of ways but the weather station says it is 66.25 and they are less than five miles away with nothing significant in between.

I sat with the chickens for a while and I can feel the air moving against my face. It is a lot more movement than this morning. Probably because it is warmer in here. We got mostly weak sun and an hour or do of bright sun that warmed it up in here. My face doesn't sting in here and the snow on my my boots is melting. Outside is still under twenty.

So I split a kleenex, ripped a strip and tied it to a stick. First picture is near the bottom of the opening. Second picture is near the top.

No drafts strong enough to ruffle feathers unless, maybe they are right at the opening.

More airflow would cool it down in here. Which would be worth it if it gave needed ventilation. Not so much worth it if the ventilation doesn't give a benefit.

They would survive the below 20F, I'm sure but what benefit might it be compared to the above freezing temperatures?

Attachments

• 639D588C-0E72-4EB5-829F-7F87179C25B7.jpeg
    639D588C-0E72-4EB5-829F-7F87179C25B7.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 4A5BE216-0279-4AAD-937E-440116F262EA.jpeg
    4A5BE216-0279-4AAD-937E-440116F262EA.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 1
It seems it will have to wait until the January thaw. We usually get above freezing for at least a little while the last half of Jan or early Feb.

Outside steadied at 28F and 16 percent relative humidity. I know that isn't right.... lots of ways but the weather station says it is 66.25 and they are less than five miles away with nothing significant in between.

I sat with the chickens for a while and I can feel the air moving against my face. It is a lot more movement than this morning. Probably because it is warmer in here. We got mostly weak sun and an hour or do of bright sun that warmed it up in here. My face doesn't sting in here and the snow on my my boots is melting. Outside is still under twenty.

So I split a kleenex, ripped a strip and tied it to a stick. First picture is near the bottom of the opening. Second picture is near the top.

No drafts strong enough to ruffle feathers unless, maybe they are right at the opening.

More airflow would cool it down in here. Which would be worth it if it gave needed ventilation. Not so much worth it if the ventilation doesn't give a benefit.

They would survive the below 20F, I'm sure but what benefit might it be compared to the above freezing temperatures?

The benefit is keeping it dry.

It's awkward that your hygrometer doesn't work in your climate. :(

It is dry.

Poops dry up quickly (even in leaves; not just in pdz on the poopboard), snow melt evaporates quickly, soaked feed dries out. No frostbite at midteens.

Last edited:
How does it read inside?
It may not work right below it's minimum 32° range,
which is pretty lame for an indoor outdoor device if you live above the mason dixon line.
You could use the salt slush test for humidity.

Back
Top Bottom