Starting a new coup

rodjac75

Hatching
Oct 3, 2015
Hey All,
I'm excited about being a part of this group. First question:
What would be the best treatment for the land I'm about to put the chicken coup on to minimize mites, nits and and other small critters? I don't want to start out with a problem before I begin the lifestyle.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
glad to have you join us.

Never thought about "treating" the building site. Interested in seeing if anyone offers opines, but would not consider it unless you know you have an existing problem there. And realize that any pesticide is only temporary.

But IMO the best way to help prevent external pests is to try to keep the wild birds away from the chickens and provide ample dust bathing area. And examine your flock members routinely and act at the first sign for treatment.

If you feed or attract wild birds, place the feeders remotely away, on another side of your house would be best.
If you add to an existing flock isolate the newbies and make sure they have no pests or disease before introduction.

To help avoid attracting squirrels, mice, rats, snakes - build the coop elevated and cover all "cracks" or windows with hardware cloth. Keep the bulk chicken food indoors or in a water tight secured bin.

Use hung feeders and founts to deter ants. Monitor in and around the coop/run for ants and treat mounds outside the compound.

Routine non-pest bugs will be handled by the chickens - their favorite past-time. Except my gals don't care too much for ants :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sunflour X2! Lots of mites come from wild birds. I enjoy feeding the wild birds too but keep the coop and free ranging area far enough away so that the chickens not only don't come into contact with wild bird poop, but their tiny livestock!

Don't over crowd your birds as this will cause all kinds of other issues along with mites. Keep the coop clean. You can sprinkle down food grade DE that you can get at your feed store. This is a natural way to repel bugs in your coop. Dust down the floors and nest boxes once a month. (wear a mask at all times with this stuff as it is microscopically sharp) Use good ventilation in your coop. And just keep your eyes open for issues. And don't purchase birds from unknown breeders or sources like Craigslist or swap meets. Many times these birds are sick and mite infested. Get your birds from a reputable breeder or hatchery.

You will do fine. :)

Good luck with this new adventure and if you have any questions about things, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock!

Cool thanks. I did have chickens that were 4 months old. I had to give them to my brother in law. My family and I left for jobs overseas. I'm just checking on research so I can start the right way when we return. My kids are excited.

welcome-byc.gif

You've received excellent advice from @sunflour and @TwoCrows so I'll just say hello and how exciting it must be to be getting back into poultry.

Thanks for joining us and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom