Starting a new flock

DAO6603

Chirping
May 20, 2023
I currently have 2 coops. 1 has 5 hens and a rooster, the other has 2 roosters. I am considering building a 3rd coop and getting the two roos their own hens. Is it the same process integrating a rooster to new hens as it is a new hen to an existing flock? I plan on the new hens being raised from hatchery chicks or hatching my own egg from the hens I have. Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Roosters love hens, and hens love roosters. So adding a rooster to a flock of hens is generally a very easy integration.

However, cockerels are a lot more iffy. Adding non laying pullets is a lot more iffy.

I may be mis interpreting your post, but I am thinking that you are just wanting to keep everything, and for everything to be happy without culling anything. If I am wrong, ignore the following: the cockerel problem will continue if you hatch your own. You will get at the very least 50% rooster chicks when you hatch your own. I have hatched 12 to get 3 pullets and 8 roosters... so depending on your space, and your ability to build coops, the rooster chicks become a problem.

And no matter what you do - some cockerels are rotten. They are a crap shoot.

What are the ages of your current birds? Are they all the same age? How many birds do you want? What are your long term goals?

Mrs K

My roosters are 5 months old and from the same straight run. They are a dual purpose breed as are the hens. I had a 3rd roo but he injured a leg and the other 2 beat him up and I had to cull him.This happened after they were separated from the main flock. They seem to have done better when with the hens but since they were separated the are getting more aggressive. I'm thinking if they had their own hens it might chill them a bit. I really don't want to cull them as they are magnificent specimens of their breed. If it were up to me I'd have 10000 birds but 3 flocks of 10 + a roo would be good. Two egg flocks and a meat flock.

It really did not have anything to do with being separated from the hens, they just came into their own, hormones are and were flying, and they can become more and more aggressive. Aggressive toward each other, aggressive toward hens, and aggressive toward people. If you had not separated them, your pullets would most likely be ran ragged, and could be dead.

But if you want to grow up some pullets for these boys, do wait until the pullets are laying eggs, before introducing them to a rooster. I would go with sexed hatchery chicks, or you are going to be right back in this situation.You are at least 5 months from growing up chicks to be ready for a rooster. Do you think the bachelor pair will get along well enough to wait for that?

Post some pictures of your set up, of your birds. I would suggest contacting your county extension agent, or 4-H groups. Sometimes someone knows someone who wants a rooster to be a rooster.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom