Starting my own business--advice

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
OK, I've been through a lot since January.Part of which was the forced resignation of my teaching job.

I also belong to a cowshare a few miles away from me. I said something about no longer working for the school district and the guy--owner of the farm perked up and asked, "You wanna get back in to dairy goats?"

"Uh, I was thinkng fiber and Angora goats."

"There's a co-op thatbuys milk from us who wants to buy goat milk for $10 a gallon."

"Uh, I'm not set up as a Grade A dairy."

"That's fine. It's a co-op, just do a herdshare."

So in addtion to the 4 Angoras I had already bought for fiber and mohair, I found 3 lactating Saanen does online with their kids included.

So I have an excess of milk even aftermeeting quotas. I asked friends if anyone wantd goat milk or cheese. No takers on milk, but a bunch wanted goat cheese. Samples for all, they liked it and want more.

So I've set myself up as an LLC.

So then I stopped by a yarn shop in a nearby town.The mohair they sell comes from Vermont. "Would you guys be interested in local mohair when I shear in the fall?"

"Yes! He's our card! We want both yarn and roving."

So far so good. I want to make this work. Anyone else have success with a homegrown business? Advice?

Thanks

I have not attempted this yet myself. I have 3 doelings right now but we are just starting the whole goat thing right now. I am an accountant though. If I were you I would see if you can find a course on accounting and taxes. So many of them stink at their jobs and if you are not informed you can end up paying for that. Also if you are educated about it you could do your own books and taxes easily. So thats my advice. I would also check with you extension service about any home business classes they might be offering.

Good luck

It would be worth your time to meet with a SCORE representative (check with your local Chamber of Commerce). They can advise on the business part of it. Sounds like you're doing great with plenty of customers and outlets for your product, that's usually half the battle, so Way To Go!!

We are working on starting our own business, though we are still researching mostly. My suggestion would be to research every possible use for your base products so nothing goes to waste. Excess milk? Try making soap with it! Some people will pay out the nose for a nice natural soap.

Selling goat milk shares to get around pastuerization and Michigan's stringent milk laws.

Not doing soap, my neighbor does that.

I've spent the last 2 days making goat milk caramel, which IS something I could sell at a farmer's market. We do allow "cottage food" in Michigan, and God knows I boil the dang caramel for over an hour so I'm sure any pathogens are soundly killed and destroyed.

If nothing else, DBF pointed out that all of our Christmas shopping is done (just give everyone caramel!)

Selling goat milk shares to get around pastuerization and Michigan's stringent milk laws.

Not doing soap, my neighbor does that.

I've spent the last 2 days making goat milk caramel, which IS something I could sell at a farmer's market. We do allow "cottage food" in Michigan, and God knows I boil the dang caramel for over an hour so I'm sure any pathogens are soundly killed and destroyed.

If nothing else, DBF pointed out that all of our Christmas shopping is done (just give everyone caramel!)
You need to check this out. http://communities.washingtontimes....1/aug/6/rawsome-foods-raided-sad-day-america/

You asked for advice..mine is don't put a lot of resources into this. The government doesn't like it, even if citizens do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom