starting out with the basics for coturnix

olofsonb

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
I'm looking to incubate maybe 50 eggs. But with just starting up and trying to keep costs down what's a good incubator? Preferably around $50 if there are any? Also any tips are welcome. I'll also be acquiring a few adults to supply me with eggs in the mean time.

Could you find a used incubator? These, once cleaned out, work wonderfully, especially if they are a more expensive type.

Best of luck with your eggs!

Check amazon or even craigslist i use a farm innovators 4200 with the auto egg turner or tilter it was about 125 total at tractor supply. I cant speak of other incubators because this is the only brand ive used and it works great. The chicken egg rails hold 41 eggs i used that for my first hatch now i have the quail rails that hold 120 eggs loaded with 70 right now.

The Little Giant is about that price but they won't do very well opening it every little bit & a egg turner is about $50 more after you get your quail trays so that puts you around $100. So if that is all you have to spend I'd suggest investing in a turner & rummaging for parts to build your own. You could probably build one for free if you look hard enough. I would suggest investing in a temperature controller similar to the one in linked in a thread I posted in this section. They make life easy.

Also buy your turner first & build around it. I built a incubator first only to find it was a inch to narrow for my turner to fit.

Last edited:
What's a good price per egg? To keep numbers easy, lets say per $100.

Only time i bought eggs was for my first hatch of coturnix i paid 3 dollars for 6 dozen. I only wanted 3 dozen but she gave me 3 extra because she had so many i havent bought eggs again since i have my own birds now.

Back
Top Bottom