Starting to think ahead to get coloured eggs!

PouleChick

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
SW France
Hi, first time I've posted in here so please be gentle while I get my head around it all! I have hatched Araucana eggs, I've got a pullet and a cockerel for blue eggs and 8 cream legbars are going under broodies tommorrow. I also have various light brown and white breeds and some Marans (at least one cockerel, not sure about the other yet - but about to put 4 more under a broody). I have read up on the genetics and this is what I have in my head (please do tell me if I'm wrong!):
blue x white = pale blue
blue x light brown = various shades of green that you won't know until they lay
blue x marans dark brown = Olive

So I think for the first lot I get how I can get my green shades but what happens the next generation? If I want to breed from an olive egger hen for example what will I get from a white roo, a brown roo, a blue roo? How do you get the quite bright almost aqua colour or is it all an unknown and you won't know until they lay?

Also I'm guessing I need to lock up certain hens with whichever roos - how long will they need to be apart from the flock (or is it easier just to lock the spare roo away in a different pen?)?

Also the guy I get some of my eggs from has said he has some Amerucana chicks that are a Dorking (with green eggs????) mixed with Araucana. Is this what in English / American would actually be an easter egger?? He said they will lay green eggs.

Thanks in advance for your time while I start toe dipping into the whole genetics thing!

sorry also am trying to decide what cockerels I want to keep, I think my Orp mix as he is lovely (so white or pale brown egg genes I'm guessing), and the Araucana purely for the blue genes but should I also consider keeping the Marans or is it OK just to use the Marans hens to get olive eggers?

You are correct on the crossings. If you cross your F1 olive egger to a dark egg layer the olive gets darker. But the more you cross back to the dark brown the higher the chances are your going to end up with a dark brown layer.
Same with crossing it back to blue. The more you cross back to the blue the higher the chances are your going to end up with a blue layer.

Same with crossing it back to blue.

Here are some charts:
2018-08-11-14-58-24--164038243.jpeg
2018-08-11-14-58-27--220007070.jpeg

sorry also am trying to decide what cockerels I want to keep, I think my Orp mix as he is lovely (so white or pale brown egg genes I'm guessing), and the Araucana purely for the blue genes but should I also consider keeping the Marans or is it OK just to use the Marans hens to get olive eggers?
I like to use Marans hens for Olive eggers (unless you want srxlinked ones.. then use legbar hens) because I like to use the darkest brown eggs possible.

Thanks so much for your help!
You are correct on the crossings
Phew!
If you cross your F1 olive egger to a dark egg layer the olive gets darker. But the more you cross back to the dark brown the higher the chances are your going to end up with a dark brown layer.
So to continue the darker olive colours I kind of need to keep a marans roo? Or not, is it more important to have the different colour genes in the hens?

Same with crossing it back to blue

Here are some charts:
Is there anyway you can post them so I can scroll in or link me to the source as I cna't make them bigger and can't read them properly (sorry over 40 and eyes are crap!!!)
I like to use Marans hens for Olive eggers (unless you want srxlinked ones.. then use legbar hens) because I like to use the darkest brown eggs possible.
I'll definately have at least 2 marans in the coop so hopefully that will work well - so for them I HAVE to keep the Araucana roo?

Hi again, just hoping someone can help with some of the other questions that probably got lost in my big post!

Also the guy I get some of my eggs from has said he has some Amerucana chicks that are a Dorking (with green eggs????) mixed with Araucana. Is this what in English / American would actually be an easter egger?? He said they will lay green eggs.

Also I'm guessing I need to lock up certain hens with whichever roos - how long will they need to be apart from the flock (or is it easier just to lock the spare roo away in a different pen?)?

should I also consider keeping the Marans or is it OK just to use the Marans hens to get olive eggers?
Thanks in advance :D

Back
Top Bottom