Starting with chicks vs. 6 month pullets - pros and cons

After I decided to have chickens (after about five months of research) I looked around for POL or older birds and there were none to be found. (It was spring.) So I went the chick route from my local feed store. I raised 11 of them, five for me, six for my neighbor.

I'm glad I did it this way. It was hard to wait for eggs but the advantages IMO greatly outweighed the disadvantage of feeding birds with no eggs.

First: They are very friendly; not just to me and other people, but to each other. While there is a hierarchy, it's fairly soft. There's a different bird first out of the coop every morning and the bottom of the order sits and eats with the top of the flock.

Second: I was able to control their growth as per Damerow in Storey's guide to raising chickens and not let them mature too fast. According to literature, this will help stave of problems like egg-binding, prolapse, and early cessation of laying. I know it's not a sure thing, but anything that keeps the girls healthier is good for me.

Third: This may or may not be a good thing. It's bonded me to them and I look at them as more than mere-egg producing machines. I got to reach my hand into the bins at the store and choose each of them.

Fourth: The entertainment value of baby chicks is not to be missed. They run around peeping madly and then just stop and go to sleep. Just like that. Flying practice was fun too.

Just my thougts although it seems as though you are leaning toward babies. Good luck.

Mary

back in sept i had wanted to go the craigslist route and get hens ready to lay, dh wanted to order chicks. we ordered chicks and i'm glad we did. they were entertaining although they were the most work in the beginning. l love knowing their personalities and waiting to see if we'd get a roo. turned out we got one (out of 12) and i'm glad of that too. it brings a nice dynamic to the flock. i also know the treatment and health of my flock from the beginning. just started getting eggs last week. i've posted about the chicks on my blog- along with some cute pictures.

I went with the 17 week old started pullets from our local farm store for the reason that I could get 5 minimum, and chicks were 8 minimum. My old coop only held 4 tops, 5 was tight, 8 would have been impossible. My girls are very sweet and friendly to me and my little boys. We handle them and hang out with them too, so that helps. 3 are super friendly, two are ok friendly. But I love them all. I do miss the chick cuteness but being I am new to chickens, I wanted to start with the older ones, then progress to raisning chicks in a couple years. I can't have/don't want a rooster, so that was another reason for no chicks this time. Maybe in the future. Boys are bugging me for chicks this year. Hmmmm.....

I started with 3 month old pellets that I got off craigslist. 5 of them. I got addicted right away. Within a month, I bought 4 more, and 2 months later....8 older hens. Now I am starting to get into hatching eggs. But there is nothing wrong with starting with pullets.

i do both i randomly buy pol commets at local auction for $1 each becouse they are o cheap its hard to pass up and i get baby chicks from tsc and hatcherys i recently got some silkies kept them in the house till they were 4months old (with graze time in a makeshift baby coop bringing them in after an hr or 2 of playtime and getting to know my other chickens and when i moved them to the coop 1 of my golden commets is broody and confused they are about 5/6mnths now and she has adopted them and gathers as many under her wing as she can fit which isnt many since they are almost her size i think shes confused becouse they still have baby fluff instead of feathers but its so cute when i go out there since i raised them by hand they come poke there heads out then come running to me they have even got there "mom" coming to me when i could never catch her if i tried before so my experience says integrating new chicks is easier then pol pullets

Do you have a feed store nearby? Spring is almost here, and many feed stores get chicks in for Easter. If you speak with the manager, he may be willing to attach your small order to his.

Spring is the best time to raise chicks, I believe. That way when the cold fall weather approaches, your pullets are feathered out and ready for life on their own.

This is what I did last spring. I was having a perfect devil of a time trying to obtain a small order of chicks. Craig's List had some occasionally, but never the breeds I wanted. I'm a long way from large feed stores but I was able to attach my small order with a large feed and tractor supply in Denver who regularly placed orders with a large hatchery. Then some friends going up there on business were kind enough to bring me my box full of two day old Wyandottes.

The timing was perfect, and they were laying by Thanksgiving.

We did what you are considering--we bought POL pullets last fall and will raise chicks to add to the flock this spring. It has been great so far. The hens started laying within 1 month--almost instant gratification! Also they have tamed up very well--my toddler and preschooler pick them up and pet them, they are very docile (I got Australorps--total sweeties). It has been nice to start small, with just a couple of chickens. Now that I've had them a few months I feel like I have my system down pat and am ready to handle a larger flock and the higher level of care needed by chicks. I'm not worried about flock integration--there's lots of advice here on how to do it well.

it really depends on the individual chicken as too whether they will become accustomed to being petted. I bourght 4 start of lay pullets (2 white, 1 black and 1 brown) and the brown one is very tome, she comes sprinting when called and likes being petted. we even hypnotise her and my brother take her into their little cubbys they make in the hay shed lol. JUst start by trying to hand fered them first. In my experience it has always the been the brown ones that have been the tamest... Well Goodluck and you WILL without a doubt become a chicken addict!!!

Thanks again for all the replies!
big_smile.png
I have decided to go with babies; I know I'll be impatient waiting months for eggs, but I can't stand the idea of missing out on chick-hood, and being sure I'll have friendly little buggers to mess with. The plan is to get them in about two weeks, since I have to take a business trip next week. Need to give Dunlap a call and see if they'll have the Light Brahamas Silver Laced Wyndottes, and Buff Orpingtons I'm hoping to get.
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
The bathtub on the main floor of the new house won't be getting any use, so it will make a perfect brooder.
woot.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom