State of The Farm Address

tnokie

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Well its still cold,cold here in upper middle Tennessee. In the twenties. Have a muscovy hen and golden lakenvelder laying. Its a challenge to get ther eggs in before they freeze.
Noticed the canaries on the feeder outside my window are showing a bit of yellow,the summer colors are moulting in!All the feeders are real busy,guess the birds are fattening up fpr the laying season also!
Taking bunnies to the auction tonight. Been to cold to rebreed does. Hope for warm spell soon.Did real well ,only lost one baby out of five litters during the past 6 weeks of cold.
Hope to pick up some more silkies for setting at the auction . Don't have a bator so I want lots of setters!
Koi pond has been partially frozen ,They seem to be swimming around but aren't sseatting much.
And how goes Sat morning at your place?

Well, tnokie, things on my micro-farm are pretty nice today, thanks for asking! It rained like heck for the last two days here in the San Francisco area, and everything is really soggy and muddy but I dont have much in the way of chores outside today so it doesnt matter. I did go out to pick some navel oranges off the tree and noticed that the cloud cover must be holding in some heat because it is almost warm! The hills are not quite as green as they normally would be at this time of year because of the weeks of freezing weather that we had, but new grass should be up soon. Our own small pasture is lush with a new crop of weeds that seem to be growing right before my eyes!
We only have one pasture bunny left since the other two both died within the last 6 weeks. He seems lonely and goes back and forth between our property and the neighbors on both sides.... probably looking for his girlfriends. Although he will still sometimes run up to my feet to get some corn when I am giving scratch to the chickens, he isnt as responsive as the Does were and doesnt come when I call "bunny bunny bunny". Probably because he wasnt our bunny to start with, the neighbor let him go last summer and he joined our girls who had been free ranging for a couple years.

How are the rest of you BYC peeps doing today?

chel

Hi everybody,
It might have hit 30 here today in CT. It's been very cold and the chickens have been on a self impossed shut-in recently. Today they were out and happy! I hung some heads of romaine lettuce in the run so they could have some sport. I also collected 8 eggs from 8 hens for the first day in a long while so that is reason to celebrate. Eggchel, I can't even imagine picking oranges in February. If I didn't love Connecticut I think I'd live in your area. Can't wait for spring!!! Jen
smile.png

I'm with you there, Jen! As a mailman, And working outside, I am truly READY for spring! BUT, more importantly, I am ready for my chicks who will be arriving soon! I have placed my order and I am due to recieve my babies on or around the 19th! I can't wait! This is my first "flock" and I have been working like crazy to build the coop and get things prepared. I only have to buy the chick feed and shavings and I am totally ready. And , oh yeah, I got my fingers crossed that the delivery will be a full box of happy peeps! Wish me luck!

This morning I got up, had breakfast and went and saw the chickens. Nothing needed doing to them, so I just let them out. Thankfully the snow we have had recently (first in two years! and only 2x 1cm) has now thawed.

Had to go on an orienteering expedition thing today for my D of E award (I won't bother explaining that one, it'd take aaaages) and that was cold, wet and muddy, but surprisingly we didn't get massively lost.

I really need to order some seeds for this year's veggie patch . . . .

Back
Top Bottom