Thatchickenchick

Hatching
Apr 14, 2024
Hi, guys, so I have 5 baby chicks right now and I’m really stressed about coop/run situation when they’re older. I currently live in a duplex where the 2.5 acres of back yard space is shared. The neighbors are okay with chickens but don’t want me to free range them which is totally understand. I don’t really want to build a stationary coop and run because I feel like that’s unsanitary… I’m thinking about buying a coop and run on wheels so I can sort of rotate them around my side of the lawn, but wondering if that’s a good idea? Will the chickens have behavioral issues if they’re in a portable coop and run? Also, do you think the grass will be torn up even with rotating the coop?

Chickens aren't bothered by being in a portable coop to my knowledge, but they are generally much less predator proof than stationary coops (although you may not have many predators near you since it sounds like you live in a fairly populated area). The grass in your run will likely take some visible damage, it depends on how often you're moving it and how much space you have to go through. Portable coops are usually pretty small as well, just something to think about with five chickens.
But as a stationary coop owner, and this is just my opinion of course, as long as you're cleaning it frequently it's perfectly sanitary, and I've never had a problem with my birds (or with my neighbors!) because of odor or bacteria in my coop.

Back
Top Bottom