Staying up late?

jennifer08

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
texas
So I currently have my 8 chicks (3 weeks old) in a water trough brooding box in our wood shed. My husband likes to work on things and listen to music in his shed which sometimes leads to 9-10 at night well after dark. Will our moving around mess up their natural time clocks? I dont want them to be forced to stay awake because they like looking at him. Should I have a set bedtime and shed shut down or wait until they are in their permanent coop?:idunno

From my limited experience, they sleep when they are tired and are awake when they want. Sometimes I get up to make my husband's lunch at 3-4am and I will hear them chirping away. The get use to whatever is going on around them. They will literally be running around one minute and the next they will be passed out in the middle of the brooder. The noise may initially wake/startle them, but it won't prevent them from carrying on with whatever chicken business they want to do in the grand scheme of things.

Ditto that. Baby chicks are just as adaptable to their environment as human babies. They do not need to be coddled. All chicks care about and need is warmth, food, and water, and a secure place to live.

Back
Top Bottom