Stepped on Chick and Chicken with broken toe

I would splint it with a qtip and some tape. She should be fine if you can keep her from pulling the splint off.
OK. I'll do that. I was gonna use a popsicle stick, and put it under her toe, and wrap it with some medical tape. But I do think this would work better. Thank you.

What Is your opinion on the chick.

Last edited:
Just watched the video. Please forgive me, I'm often guilty of skim reading and sometimes miss stuff!

My thoughts...that sure is peculiar...have you felt her to see how it's different from the other chicks? Could it be her "shoulder" or something that's not her neck? Have you weighed her?

Last edited:
I too am thinking shoulder or collar bone if chickens even have have a collar bone. It seems to get around fine. I probably wouldn't ever keep it in a flock with a rooster unless it ends up really strong at walking and functioning that way... but I wouldn't put it down. I'd say you've got yourself one crooked chicken

The collar bone, if chickens have one? Can you dislocate a collar bone? Heck I don't know. Lol.
I wouldn't be confident enough to try and out anything back in place myself..unless when investigating I could feel that this goes here like so.. voilà. Lol. Arm bones connected to the shoulder bone, and all that jazz.

The collar bone, if chickens have one? Can you dislocate a collar bone? Heck I don't know. Lol.
I wouldn't be confident enough to try and out anything back in place myself..unless when investigating I could feel that this goes here like so.. voilà. Lol. Arm bones connected to the shoulder bone, and all that jazz.
yeah, I agree. Feel it versus the other birds. Maybe see if there is anything that...moves? I don't know...is it worth it? I'd think it would hurt? Anyone ever seen this sort of thing before?

Let me elaborate:
At this point we are trying to figure out if (and really my mind just started to wander, so...by the time you get to the end it's just questions that you'll have to ask yourself if we get to that avenue.
do you have anything to add?
A) does the bird need to be fixed?
1) can it live like this?
2) if it cant, should it be euthanized?
B) if it does need to be fixed
1) can someone fix this sort of thing at home?
2) can a vet be afforded?

I don't know how this sort of thing would work out...I say if you get to the point that you couldn't do the vet and fixing her yourself weren't an option for varying reasons...I think she looks okay, does her crop fill and empty every night and morning respectively?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I already put the splint on the hen with the broken toe. As to the chick with the crooked neck, she seems to be doing fine so far. I'll keep watching them both and keep you posted. Thank you for your time. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom