Still air incubation question

KyBirdLady

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Today my chicken eggs are on day 17 of incubation. I plan to move them out of the turner tonight. I have it at 100 degrees and 50-55% humidity. Should I keep it at that going into hatching or raise/ lower it. Thanks.

Today my chicken eggs are on day 17 of incubation. I plan to move them out of the turner tonight. I have it at 100 degrees and 50-55% humidity. Should I keep it at that going into hatching or raise/ lower it. Thanks.
If using still air at 100 degrees (measured at the top of eggs).. expect a delayed hatch. *Maybe* if that's the floor temp.. it will still be day 21?? Still air stratifies and embryo development takes place at the top of the egg (according to my understanding).. Additionally, if the eggs were left in the same spot in the bator and not moved around periodically.. there may have been hot or cool spots which could contribute to a staggered hatch..

Also.. what color are your eggs.. that's kinda high humidity for starting.. how are your air cells looking?

Most folks go into lock down on day 18.. though day 17 won't hiurt anything.. you also don't have to rush it..

My preferred incubation humidity is 35-45%, hatching about 60-65% depending on how many eggs/chicks are expected (in what size bator) as humidity spikes once hacthing has started.. and condesnation or dripping from the lid is not preffered.

Aside from preferences.. here is a link to my favorite *technical* hatching resource.. it long and dry.. but overall extreemly helpful if you have the interest..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Best wishes and happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom