still can't figure out what is wrong with chick

sstehm

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 15, 2009
the same chick I posted about earlier is miraculously still alive though close to a month old now and looks about 4 days old
still having problems with fluid bubbling up and him gagging on it--i am going to put back on the antibiotic today for 2 weeks this time instead of 1
his fluff down the front of him is falling out but no feathers coming in and he is soiled from the spittle from his beak
has a wobbly gate
poo seems normal, likes to eat and drink but now having difficulty again b/c when he puts his head down he gags, like a person with a whole lot of congestion, but nothing is from his nose only his mouth
is this something respitory or something to do with his crop? he is definately not well but nothing seems to quite fit the description in any of the books i have
any help greatly appreciated

do you think he actually has a shot of surviving if i do, he seems pretty bad off?

Making a guess here- but you have a failure to thrive chick- that has fluid dribbling down the front. He/she MAY have a crop that is not working well (or is partially blocked). If he/she is 1 month old, but only looks 4 days old- this chick is not long for this world if things do not dramatically improve. If you press on the crop and similar fluid comes out- the problem is crop and not respiratory. He has gotten enough fluid/nutrition to live- but not grow. What do you want from this chick? If this is to be a layer or functional rooster, I would cull as it is unlikely to be a long term good producer. If this is a pet- then I would consider continuing support- but you need to find out if there is a crop blockage vs just doesn' work. A vet can help you here, or you can try the home techniques for blocked crop described in past posts.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom