Still dealing with wry neck.

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
Is there a time frame I should see improvement in, or is she going to battle this for life? :(

When my duckling was 11 days old I first noticed her spinning with her neck stuck. I asked on here and was told it was wry neck. So, I began to immediately treat it with Sav-a-chick until I got [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nutri-Drench the next day. I have been using that since. I am using brewers yeast in their non medicated chick starter and doing everything I have read to try and combat this but it's becoming more and more common. Anytime she is frightened or startled, she will become "stuck" with her neck completely backwards as she just flaps helplessly on the ground. After about 30 seconds she stops flapping but she can't walk for a minute or two, then she's totally fine like nothing happened. She looks great, is growing and feathering nicely....just dealing with this neck thing. [/FONT]

Have you tried just giving a direct Vitamin E supplement? The Nutri-Drench may not have enough of it for the duck's deficiency.

I agree with K about the vit E and also you should be giving Niacin in her water. niacin can help also with neurological problems in ducklings. just get plain niacin capsules 200 mg. and put into their water changing daily. not time released or flush free,. This does take time and what your seeing when she gets stressed or afraid is very typical. Sure will be praying you see improvement soon. I like using Brewers yeast but to get this better under control I'd go with Niacin it's very inexpensive.

Last edited:
So I should start using Niacin 200mg instead of the yeast in the feed (how many capsules in their 1 gallon waterer?) as well as Vit E instead of the Nutri-Drench. What type of Vit E? Just regular human gel caps? How many? How should it be administered?

Thanks

So I should start using Niacin 200mg instead of the yeast in the feed (how many capsules in their 1 gallon waterer?) as well as Vit E instead of the Nutri-Drench. What type of Vit E? Just regular human gel caps? How many? How should it be administered?

Thanks
I would dissolve the niacin 200mg into a gallon and a half of water. Nutri-Drench is very helpful for many things, and at the same time does not have a wide variety of vitamins. I have not given E before, so Kevin will need to get back to us on that. Do you have poultry vitamins (I mean multi-vitamins)?

Just also want to send hugs - it's a challenge to try to sort everything out.

I am having the same problem with one of my ducklings. I have been putting the Niacin in their water almost a week now and had them on Sav a Chic a week before that. Now they are on both. She improves for a bit then back slides. I notice her worse in the am. :-( It is frustrating and painful to see them like that but keep at it. We are lucky to have all the experience on this forum. Praying we borth see improvement soon. I am also interested in the vitamin E. I will try anything!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom