WhileHewasgamin

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2015
Central Pennsylvania
Good morning!

It's been a while since I've been on here. We have moved to Limestone County Alabama. Two of my neighbors have hens and a friend from work keeps giving us his free ranged eggs. Needless to say I still REALLY want some chickens. Lol. I would like to move into a nicer yard so my hens aren't cramped. I would like to start building a coop so hopefully by this spring coming I can get babies. Friend said he can give us two hens already laying and a rooster. I am really scared of birds. I tried helping a baby robin and it's mommy attacked me (I was a kid) more recently when fishing we've been flogged by geese. I know what a roosters job is and I don't think I want to deal with that right now or grown hens. I think it'll best I get babies to grow with. What brewed do you suggest and do you think babies would be a good idea to start with? We are in zone 7, so our winters are mild. It can freeze but no snow. Also do you start babies inside the house? I don't want to hatch them yet. I read that all alive chicken can carry salmonella and that chicken should be inside, is that true? Thank you?

Welcome back! :) I think dimensions for a coop is 2 sq feet per chicken? Maybe it's 4, though - someone else will have to correct me on that. :p I have a coop big enough for 50 chickens, but I only have half that, so I forgot the proper dimensions, grr. As for yard/run space, it's 10 sq ft per bird.
Chickens are definitely amazing and very interesting to watch. :love With your friend giving you a rooster, the rooster will probably need about 5-6 more hens depending on his temperament. I wouldn't be too afraid of your chickens, considering they'll be domesticated which the geese and robins weren't. For a starter, I'd suggest Buff Orpington's or Australorp's - they're both supposed to be docile, big breeds. :) All chickens peck at things occasionally - mine love pecking my toe nails because they're painted and shiny, and they also peck at freckles. Two of my BR pullets like to bite fingers. :rolleyes:
I got Barred Plymouth Rock's and Rhode Island Red's as my first two breeds.. they are quite bossy, and I ended up with 3 RIR's cockerels/roosters - one of 'em tried to attack me last night as I was herding them back into the coop, but you just have to show them who's boss. I read a thread I can link here where someone commented that you should chase them out of the coop if they're being mean, swat them on the behind, (I use my hand, to make sure I'm not being too rough with 'em but so they can feel it.) and only let them in when you decide. My cockerel who tried to attack me last night really only gave me a little bite - it didn't hurt too much, but definitely a no-no.
How old are the hens and rooster your friend will be giving you?
When you walk into the chicken coop, don't walk around them - walk through them. Just gently but firmly push your way through, trying to avoid stepping on one (I've stepped on the end of a wing one or twice - birds were okay, but definitely felt bad for them after! :hit:lau)
If you're able to, starting them in the house would be way easier of them. I haven't been able to due to my family, so I start mine outside in a shed when it's starting to get a bit warmer in the spring with their lamp on if it's under 95 or so in the shed itself. Just pay attention to the temperatures if you keep them outside - a thermometer would be helpful for that, but you'll be able to tell the chicks' body language pretty quickly. Grouped together = cold, spread out and active = perfect, panting = hot. Also, with chicks, you'll have to examine their little behinds daily for any poop stuck to them. If there is some, gently wet their butt and wipe the poop off with a washcloth, then dry them as best you can.
I'm not sure about the salmonella, but as long as you wash your hands after dealing with your chickens, you'll be okay. I pet my chickens all the time, carry them, even kiss them on the head occasionally and I haven't gotten salmonella.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it here. :p

Our friend is not really sure how old his chicken are. By the sound of it they have a decent sized yard and the chicken just be chicken. I don't think the interact with them that much. So that's another thing that scares me about getting his chicken.

So basically you train chicken kinda like you would a child or dog? I guess the peck is really fast and probably wouldn't hurt that bad. Not how I remember lol.

Do you think it's best to get chicks from a tractor supply store? I've read your coop should be between 2-4 sq. ft. Per chicken and the run how you said.

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.
I would NOT start off with a rooster, they turn mean.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Our friend is not really sure how old his chicken are. By the sound of it they have a decent sized yard and the chicken just be chicken. I don't think the interact with them that much. So that's another thing that scares me about getting his chicken.

So basically you train chicken kinda like you would a child or dog? I guess the peck is really fast and probably wouldn't hurt that bad. Not how I remember lol.

Do you think it's best to get chicks from a tractor supply store? I've read your coop should be between 2-4 sq. ft. Per chicken and the run how you said.

I haven't been raising mine long, but my 6 month old BR's from TSC are healthy and all made it, my 4 month old RIR's from TSC are all healthy and made it (despite 3 not being pullets like they were claimed, but an employee told us one of the other employee's mixed them up), and I just recently got 5 Australorp's and 5 mystery breeds, as I stated above. :p The mystery breeds were supposedly Sicilian Buttercups, but they're not, so just be careful with what you want, and I'd suggest buying pullet only. Straight run is a dollar cheaper from TSC, but not worth the cost of getting roosters. If you can get your chicks from a local/close breeder or hatchery, I'd say go for it, but if not, TSC chicks/feed store chicks should be fine. After all, the feed store chicks have to get shipped, too.
As for your friends' chickens and not interacting with them, it should be alright; just calmly sit as still as you can and read a book, play on your phone, etc. near them with maybe a bowl of treats in your lap (meal worms or whole corn/corn on the cob works great! I buy corn on the cob from Winco for 25 cents apiece and use a knife to get the corn off the cob, then take it out to my chickens). They should come around once they see you have food. :lol: And with petting and holding them, it depends on your chicken - some of my RIR's that I raised since chicks hate it, but some of them enjoy it. Essentially, yes, they should be pretty easy to train. :)

Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird inside the coop -excluding nest boxes and roosts.
In the outdoor run allow 10 sq.feet per bird. Chickens hate being crowded and can act out by feather plucking who ever is near them - or bullying others away from feed & water, etc. A run with a solid cover will provide shelter from rain/snow , and give some shade - as well as keeping out hawks and climbing predators.

You don't need a rooster - hens will lay just as many eggs without one, albeit non-fertile (won't hatch) eggs.

Thank you all for your kind encouraging words!! What time of the year do you think is best for getting babies? And do you leave your broody hen in the flock when she is used to hatch? I def don't want them to peek each other and I see it happens often with babies so I would go with the the red lamp. I might be scared of them, but I would feel so horrible if they hurt each other. Some coops to buy aren't that expensive so I might just do that.

Thank you all for your kind encouraging words!! What time of the year do you think is best for getting babies? And do you leave your broody hen in the flock when she is used to hatch? I def don't want them to peek each other and I see it happens often with babies so I would go with the the red lamp. I might be scared of them, but I would feel so horrible if they hurt each other. Some coops to buy aren't that expensive so I might just do that.
spring

Back
Top Bottom