Still not sure about my EE's...what do you think? (Pic heavy!)

WyoChickenMamma

Songster
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
I have posted about these two before, but this morning when I was out with them, it seems they have been growing and changing some. It is hard for me to tell if they are pullet or cockerels because they just look so different from all my other girls. I think it is the colorings and the overall shape of their bodies that is throwing me off. I am praying for pullets, but if one happens to be a boy I guess I will keep him. I do not have a roo and was not planning on having one, but if he is, then he is. So here are the pictures.

The first four pictures are of the one that I question the most. The feathers around the neck seem awful pointy to me. But the comb and wattles are still quite small. I have read that sometimes EE's are slow to mature, so that really may not matter.

98950_ee_dark_1.jpg

98950_ee_dark3.jpg

98950_ee_dark5_back.jpg

98950_ee_dark4_head.jpg

These next four pictures are of the lighter one. I am not sure, but lean more towards pullet.

98950_ee_light_1.jpg

98950_ee_light_3.jpg

98950_ee_light_4_head.jpg

98950_ee_light_5_head.jpg

And finally one together. There really is not a difference in their size. They are the same age. And from what I was told they were bought as day olds in March, but I am thinking very late March. Neither one has shown any interest in the nesting boxes and neither one really squats. But of the 11 chickens that I bought at the same time, only the two red comets are laying.

98950_ee_both.jpg

So like I said if one just has to be a rooster I will probably keep him unless he turns mean. Those two are always together and I just can't see separating them. Also, I have a flock of 35, would it be possible to keep them both if they are both roosters or would I need to split my flock and keep them in two different areas?

Thanks in advance for your help. Keeping fingers crossed
smile.png

They are pullets. Sometimes the Columbian patterning (the black ticking) on the neck feather can make the feathers appear to be pointy, when in fact they are not. It can sometimes be an optical illusion.

Thanks for all the votes for girls. Guess I could go ahead and give them some names...any suggestions for my pretty girls?

I think they look an awful lot like my EE hens. I'd bet they're both pullets. The two yours most resemble of mine are named Mabel and Spike. LOL

your darker bird looks almost identical to mine!! only difference is mine has a slightly crossed beak.
smile.png
we were told she was an ameraucana (dang feed store!), so we named her "yankee".
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom