Stinky Skunk Visitor

Liz Birdlover

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
Every year it seems some skunk takes up residence under one of my sheds. At other houses I've lived in & before I even had Pigeons or Chickens. Well...we just had a few rare days of spring-like weather, and last night, a skunk had a blast stinking up my property. I was folding laundry about 9pm & smelled it, IN the house! Ugh, I lit a few candles & didn't run the clothes dryer til morning. So this morning the house no longer stunk, but when I went outside, I could clearly smell where the skunk had been. It was especially strong around the chicken pens. My pens are predator proof & I have no food at all outside this time of year. So the skunk is clearly drawn to just the mere presence of the flock. I never minded opossums or skunks. They'd mostly just hang out to raise a family then move on. But this dude or dudette really stinks! I realize as long as I have a shed that a skunk can feel safe under, I'm going to get skunks, opossums, groundhogs, or whatever. Does anyone have an idea that may work, to at least successfully repel them from the chicken pens?
A bunch of cayenne pepper & garlic didn't work. Normally, they rarely spray, but I see the foxes in my yard all of the time...I'm thinking one of the foxes went after the skunk last night. Don't suggest shooting the foxes, because they happen to be excellent rodent control. I don't feel the need to kill anything as my flock is safe. What do skunks really dislike?

I don't feel the need to kill anything as my flock is safe.
I'm with you here.. I do not kill anything ether. I do have skunk visitors by my house also.. I am not afraid of them,,, and I guess they sense that as well. They do not see me as a threat to them.. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SPRAYED!!!
My suggestion to you,,,,,, find where the entrance to the under-shed housing is at. Prepare whatever you can to close that off. When you see that skunkie :love left for outdoor travels,,,,,, close that off. Shunkie will return not able to get into burrow housing,,, and will seek a different place.
I have pictures of my skunk friends,, but it would take me a bit to locate them. Maybe if I have more time tomorrow, I will post them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom