Stinky yard after rain

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
I am guessing it's somewhat normal for a yard to smell after rain where chickens free range? Is there a way to avoid this? I can only smell it when right in it and only when it's wet. I ended.up adding some charcoal/ash tonight to see if it helps at all right by the deck as an experiment. Is there anything else I can do? Or just wait for it to dry?

Personally, I would just wait for it to dry, and enjoy it. Farmers that are used to animals, are never concerned with farm odors. It is just a part of farm life. The barns just smell like barns are supposed to.
City slickers like many back yard chicken keepers sometimes try to sanitize things to extremes. I am myself a City slicker, with a small flock of pet chickens. The odors just assure me that I do have chickens. :old :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Personally, I would just wait for it to dry, and enjoy it. Farmers that are used to animals, are never concerned with farm odors. It is just a part of farm life. The barns just smell like barns are supposed to.
City slickers like many back yard chicken keepers sometimes try to sanitize things to extremes. I am myself a City slicker, with a small flock of pet chickens. The odors just assure me that I do have chickens. :old :thumbsup

LOL. I grew up on a farm but my husband is a city slicker. He still can't understand why (especially in the spring - barn cleaning time!) I comment on loving that 'fresh country air'. Even though I'm retired now, that smell brings back to being a kid again.

I am guessing it's somewhat normal for a yard to smell after rain where chickens free range? Is there a way to avoid this? I can only smell it when right in it and only when it's wet. I ended.up adding some charcoal/ash tonight to see if it helps at all right by the deck as an experiment. Is there anything else I can do? Or just wait for it to dry?
What do you mean by 'yard'?
Just part of the backyard where chickens free range?
Some pics of area would help here.

Do you by chance have leftover feed in the area where it gets wet? That will increase the odor tenfold from the soured feed.

Thank you :)
I am a born and raised city gal, but not by choice. I have never like city living and always preferred to be on a Farm. I love the farm smells. I always felt like I was born into the wrong life. Slowly changing that 😁

But yes I am definitely more concerned about other people thinking that I am not taking care of things due to the smell.. 🤷

Back
Top Bottom