Stock Fencing for Chickens

These disputes can happen in the US as well. Adverse possession has nothing to do with where property boundaries are. Adverse possession is when someone uses land that isn't theirs so long that it actually becomes theirs. Different states have different rules about how long that is and what determines use. A Professional Land Surveyor would show where boundaries were intended if the evidence still exists. Lawyers ect. would prove land use. A judge would determine who actually owns what land. If the land has been used X(determine by state) number of years by someone other than the original owner the actual ownership of the land can change.
With OP the purpose of the fence is what might help determine who built the fence and if land beyond the fence was used by either party.
It is not really how well the chickens would be contained by it.
In the US if a fence of any type exists and property markers can not be found on the property or neighboring properties. There would need to be very good evidence that the fence was located off of the property line for it not to be used as the property line Not only is adverse possession but in a boundary survey as well.

(Married to a PLS)
If one of my US friends ever says they have a boundary dispute, I'll say you should get on this chicken forum and find Yardmom!! :D

You don't have to answer here, but does this fence in question go any place other then potential boundaries of your neighbors? When we are determining on a job whether a fence is solely meant to contain stock (or chickens) or if it should be considered for potential boundaries we would look at where the whole fence is. Is it likely that it had all sides for containing the animals? Were any of the other sides obviously interior to property that the animals were contained in? If these answers are no then probably not a stock fence.

You don't have to answer here, but does this fence in question go any place other then potential boundaries of your neighbors? When we are determining on a job whether a fence is solely meant to contain stock (or chickens) or if it should be considered for potential boundaries we would look at where the whole fence is. Is it likely that it had all sides for containing the animals? Were any of the other sides obviously interior to property that the animals were contained in? If these answers are no then probably not a stock fence.

Really good question. The fence rotted away and the previous owners didn't replace it (too long a story as to why) so I can only comment from old photographs.

But no, it didn't The fence only ran along that particular boundary. Along the rest of their property (which abuts a road), they only had hedging. From one photograph it looks like they put some wire fencing up to stop the chicks going under the hedge.

But it begs the question, why did only that run of their garden need proofing by a completely useless stock fence and not the rest of it?

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Could you put your location in your profile. Not knowing were you live makes it harder to discuss legal matters. UK is fine.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Could you put your location in your profile. Not knowing were you live makes it harder to discuss legal matters. UK is fine.
Yes, I'm UK.

Ah, I'm a tough old bird. And I firmly believe that the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to stand by and do nothing. I'll fight them to my last breath if I have to.

I looked through all the evidence photos. Any that show the other areas of the garden, she's annotated saying the fence was removed. I think I can catch her out with dates though. She's not very good at consistency.

I'll be damned if I can find where in my Profile my location goes!! I've looked everywhere!

I'll be damned if I can find where in my Profile my location goes!! I've looked everywhere!
1705778980444.png

Back
Top Bottom