stopped laying

Trishkabob

Songster
12 Years
Oct 30, 2010
Schuylerville, NY
It has been HOT here (upstate NY) for days/weeks and our remaining 3 have stopped laying. "Remaining" because our other 2 were killed by a fox on the same day. The other 3 haven't laid much since. 2 are nearly 3 yrs. old, a golden laced wyandotte and a buff brahma; the third is 4 and is a buff orpington. Does the heat slow them down this much? (I don't recall this in past hot summers) or is their age also becoming a laying issue? If they saw their sisters get killed would it freak them out that much? We have been keeping them in the pen much more ever since and they don't love that (we let them out for a few hours if we are outside and can see them.)

Im also in upstate ny (near Oneonta). I havent noticed that the heat has really slowed production. The stress of the fox attack could do it though. I started getting less eggs for a few weeks after our last fox attack. My girls are in their 3 year. Their eggs have gotten smaller aince it started getting hotter. But I also just finished treating for mites.

interesting-thanks. The fox attacked about 3 weeks ago, maybe a bit more. It came back several times even with our large dog running after it so it was confident (they saw it at least once in those returns.) It hasn't made an appearance in about a week so we hope it moved on but we're still eagle-eying the girls (no pun intended.) I wonder how long that post-fox-trauma lasts.

Yes, heat will slow production from the second summer forward. As they grow older heat affects them more.
When I notice egg production slowing in the summer heat, I cut their treat of Scratch Grains in half and give them a wet mash made with their regular feed and cold water early afternoons, half cup dry feed for 4 chickens. Cover with a 1/4" to a 1/2" water and serve immediately.
20200727_140344_resized.jpg

If they saw their sisters get killed would it freak them out that much?
One of my hens hasn't laid since a second Fox attack early June. She lost two sisters.
Can you spot her in this photo.
20200707_131736_resized.jpg

Clue, I named her yellow feet.
Because she's not Laying the keratin in the feed turns her skin yellow instead of the egg yolk. I don't know when or if she'll lay again. GC

They could also be slowing production and getting ready to molt.

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom