storing chicken feed in the freezer

Hiedi

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Upstate SC
I was just curious to know what you all think about storing chicken feed in the freezer. I bought a bag of feed awhile back that had bugs in it. Apparently, bugs in chicken feed is a fairly common occurrence because I also talked to someone that was a manager at a feed store, and he told me the same thing. So storing the feed in the freezer was the only way that I could think of to ensure that my feed does not get infested with bugs. I have been putting the feed in large Ziplock bags and putting them in my small freezer that I have in my storage room on my carport. Do you think this is a good ideal or not?

I've NEVER had bugs in my chicken feed; one time, I did have bugs in a bag of horse feed - the mill I bought it from was going out of business, so it must have been old.

You should never have bugs in your feed! That means it's either old, or was exposed to moisture or otherwise stored improperly.

Most reputable mills or feed stores will take it back & replace with a fresh bag.

The freezer would kill the bugs. But if any moisture got into the bags, you could have a mold issue when you feed it to the flock.

A friend of ours has gotten an old non-working chest freezer from freecycle and uses that to store her feed in so that it stays fresh and doesn't get contaminated.

I agree with the others.... bugs in feed is not good. Take it back!

Last edited:
I have gotten a bag of feed once with bugs in it. I just thought extra protein!
lol.png

I have also on many ocassions stored my feed in freezer without any problem.

Good luck!

Last edited:
We store all our feed in freezers, chicken, horse, cat, emu, ect. These are older freezers and are not plugged in. The origional reason to use them was to keep the mice from spoiling the feed.

Quote:
Hello chickens4jojo,

I see you are from Greenville. That's too cool.
cool.png

I don't do business with the particular feed store where I purchased the bug infested feed anymore because when I returned the feed to them, they would not give me all my money back.

I store all my flour in the freezer as well so I thought why not try storing the chicken feed that way too. I take a Ziplock bag of feed out of the freezer right before I am ready to use it. Of course, I let it get room temperature.

We have some mice as well so I thought storing the feed in the freezer would have a two-fold purpose, to keep out bugs and mice.

My opinion is that bugs in feed will happen. It's a storage issue at the mill/warehouse/store. The best way to control this, once you get the feed home, is to put newly purchased feed into the freezer (zero degrees) for 2 days. This should kill any larvae and adults. Then you can store the feed in any airtight container -- trash can, rubbermaid, etc. I consider the bugs to be additional protein, which is all good for chickens. I have a different opinion of bug protein in people food, of course!
hmm.png

I have an old large container that I put the feek left overs in, it holds maybe 250 lbs. In this I throw a handful of crickets, a handful mealworms, a handful of beetles from under a piece of wood and a few worms. Add a little water from time to time and leave in a cool spot. In three weeks or so I clean out the container and feed the mixure to the chickens. When the chickens see all the wiggles, it is on. The scratching, digging and fighting over the bugs is something to watch. Not really much of the feed left though. Never made any of the chickens sick. At times I think we baby our chickens to much. What did they ever do before we humans came along to take care of them?

Unless it's listed on the bag,I don't think bugs should be in there.That manager must have been one good salesmen.
You never know maybe it would make a great sales pitch in organic feed.
hmm.png
Will

Back
Top Bottom