Storing chicken feed

I used the galvanized can w/ the bungee cords over the top as well. I also saw the racoon and critter proof cat/dog food hard plastic containers (w/ the screw top) in the supermarket the other day. They also have them in the pet stores (but less expensive in the supermarket). They hold alot of food. Check it out.

Might also find them on the JeffersPet website.

here is what I use I made it the last couple of days. I put a clip on lock so no coons or any animals get in, I put a tarp over top so no rain get in and it is on a slight slope so that the grain can slide down to the bottom.

DSCI0004-2.jpg

DSCI0003-2.jpg

DSCI0002-1.jpg

DSCI0001-2.jpg

We have three cats and are overrun with cat litter buckets. They seem to close nice and tightly and I've never had any problems with bugs.

A big Rubbermaid storage bin with the feed scoop weighting the lid down. It was on sale for $10 and fits about 100 lbs. of food.

We have been using kitty litter buckets for the last year. However one of the lids cracked just enough to let moisture in and not be seen and I have half a bucket of moldy feed! :( So now we are trying to find something else to use and also have to buy more feed and its memorial Day weekend. Nothing is open till Tuesday. HOPING the feed i have in the other bucket is enough to get us through.

We also use the big rubbermaid "garbage"cans with the lid, however, I'm concerned with heat. Is feeding chickens feed from a hot plastic can good for them?

Back
Top Bottom