Strange caterpillar may have nearly killed two of my chicks

Pics

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
This afternoon, I found two of my five nine-week old chicks very sick. I picked them up and carried them inside to start treating them. At first, I thought perhaps they had impactions or were constipated since they've been eating kale and chard with the stems cut up small. But by the time I started examining them, one chick was nearly lifeless, limp neck, closed eyes, unable to stand. She was dying. The other was almost as bad, but she could still stand and she was gaping her beak.

Since they were declining at such lightening speed, I made the call to treat them for poisoning. I mixed a slurry of activated charcoal and Milk of Magnesia and syringed it directly into their crops, followed by clear water. They began improving almost immediately. Within half an hour, both were able to stand and walk again, although a bit wobbly and weak.

I mixed up some sugar water and sprinkled some dry crumbles on the floor of their crate, and they began to eat and drink. They continued to improve. I have them in the crate indoors overnight to observe them.

I was cleaning up pine needles outside the run a little while ago near where I found one of the sick chicks and found this critter. It's soft like a caterpillar, and it has these strange white nodes on it. It is so hideous, it's likely poisonous as many caterpillars are. Has anyone ever run across anything like this and happen to know what it is?
P1010002.JPG

The wasp that laid the eggs on the caterpillar is long gone. I doubt it was the culprit. I'm wondering if these wasp larvae are toxic or if this brown caterpillar is toxic. The caterpillar appears to be pretty much intact, so the chicks, if they did encounter this guy, didn't consume any of it, but they could have plucked off a few of the larvae on it.

Back
Top Bottom