Strange caterpillar may have nearly killed two of my chicks

I threw up my hands, grabbed the chicks out of their crate, and hauled them back out to the run. You should have seen the reunion. The two sick chicks were so happy to be back, and the other three were so ecstatic to see them, all five went running off to their happy little hangout. It seems being with their mates is as good a medicine as the vitamins they just had.

It gives me a little more hope. We'll see how they are after a few days on E and B vitamins. So far, it seems to be weakness, not paralysis, that we're dealing with.

I'm wondering if that's a buckmoth caterpillar. We have several stinging/venomous caterpillars in Florida, including the Asp which is truly nasty, mostly the birds know to leave them alone, somehow. Mine will not eat any caterpillar that has any fuzz on it at all. Your youngsters may just not have known yet, or maybe the numbers are up this year making them more likely to be around. I did read a study on wild birds and they found that the rate of them trying to eat the nasty ones was much greater in juvenile birds. Most treatments I can find are for external stings, so not sure what would be effective for a swallowed one, but seems like you likely did the right thing, probably what I would have done. Buckmoth comes up as having several species in Colorado, and they like oak trees.
https://www.dailycamera.com/2019/07...e-fortress-bristling-with-hypodermic-needles/
https://pethelpful.com/pet-ownership/Poisonous-Caterpillar-Sting-Dog-Cat-Pets

I think you've nailed it, @coach723 . Those dendritic spines are identical to my caterpillar. However, I can't find any mention of what eating a bit of one of these will do to little chicks.

One of my sick chicks has a quivering head. The other is still gaping her beak. I'll bet the venom, as little as they likely consumed, is now working internally. I can only hope this will work its way out of their systems.

I couldn't find anything either, about what effects it might have on a bird, or anything else that ate one. I hope they recover given some time. Since it's venom, I doubt benadryl would help either. Probably the charcoal was the best bet, hopefully it absorbed enough of it to help. Fingers crossed for them.

Not good. The chicks appear to be suffering from neurological damage. They can barely stand this morning, and they have no appetite. I gave them each a syringe of vitamin E and B-complex and Nutri-drench. I doubt they're going to recover. View attachment 2211611
Are you continuing the charcoal? That's a treatment that is used 4 cats who encounter specific type of poisonous plant and it's done for 5 days straight.

Went outside as soon as I woke up to check on the chicks, and there was a big ruckus as I walked up. The chicks were fleeing the coop. That meant someone may have just died.

I found Rosie crumpled up in a contorted lump. She had probably had a seizure and scared the others. I took her inside and she was barely alive. I euthanized her.

The other chick seems no better, but no worse. But I may end up losing her, too.

Now my gut is clenching over the other chick. She's having trouble standing, and her feet are curling and legs are crumpling. This is what I feared - definite signs of neurological damage. Despite the vitamin E, the venom in her system appears to be progressing. I'm preparing myself to euthanize this one, as well.

Back
Top Bottom