strange combs

Vcomb

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
South Dakota
My Coop
My Coop
These three birds seem to exhibit a strange type of comb. All three are Purple Devils, a bloodline of American Game which to my knowledge has some Madagascar Game mixed into it.

Curious to see what gene combinations may be at work. These pics were taken before the birds were dubbed and the birds had no frost bite damage over the winter. Also notice the abnormality of the wattles one being pulled up and wrinkled on one side but fully rounded on the other.

DSCN5994.jpg

DSCN5995.jpg

DSCN5996.jpg

DSCN5997.jpg

DSCN5998.jpg

DSCN5999.jpg

DSCN6001.jpg

DSCN6000.jpg

The comb in the first two pictures happens pretty frequently: where the end stands up. Don't have a clue as to why.

The next comb looks to be what you get when you cross a SC and Peacomb: kind of half way between the two.

Quote:
saladin,

the first one leads me to suspect some type of cushion or rosecomb being involved.

the combs on the second two look like a straight comb that has been dubbed, a single straight blade. I've had birds with peacomb/straight comb genes in them but have not seen this particular combo before. I wonder is it possible for it to be something of a 3-way combo? say peacomb x straightcomb x cushion comb. from what I've seen straight x pea usually results in smaller straight combs that have three ridges or flopped over straight combs with three ridges.

any thoughts on the wattles? I've seen this in some inbred bantams before and it seems to be highly dominant.

Back
Top Bottom