Strange Coop Behaviour

Maybe they're thinking about going broody?
My production red acted like this before she went broody. I'm new to this so I could be wrong. But this is exactly the way mine behaved. Through straw over her shoulder after removing it from the nest box. She didn't stay broody for about nine days and finally just gave up.

Sounds like Chicken soap opera to me. We had a round several years ago where we had a mean rooster who we separated from the flock as none of the girls liked him except one little hen who we allowed to free range with him. (she obviously had a thing for an abusive relationship) anyway she got tired of his shenanigans and divorced him on the coldest night. She jumped the fence back to the main coop. He jumped the fence and tried to get her back to no avail. Every time he got near, she called the other rooster. He finally got so distraught he went back to free ranging and then committed suicide by jumping into the dog yard. (Quite the shakespearean tragedy).
idunno.gif
My city folk friends just couldn't believe so much drama from the chicken coop.

Hope your girls settle down.

Sounds like Chicken soap opera to me. We had a round several years ago where we had a mean rooster who we separated from the flock as none of the girls liked him except one little hen who we allowed to free range with him. (she obviously had a thing for an abusive relationship) anyway she got tired of his shenanigans and divorced him on the coldest night. She jumped the fence back to the main coop. He jumped the fence and tried to get her back to no avail. Every time he got near, she called the other rooster. He finally got so distraught he went back to free ranging and then committed suicide by jumping into the dog yard. (Quite the shakespearean tragedy).
idunno.gif
My city folk friends just couldn't believe so much drama from the chicken coop.

Hope your girls settle down.
Hilarious! I should get rid of him to stop the episode in my house but unfortunately I am a glutton for a bad story line it seems.

Back
Top Bottom