Strange Death

jbowyer01

Just Me!
14 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Hogansville, Georgia
I need advice, I have three (or had three) sussex (all three were hatched on 12/12/2010). One is a pure coronation (roo) and the other two are light sussex (both pullets). All were fine last night. I watched them foraging in their enclosed run, everything looked fine. I closed up the coop around 8:30pm. Went out this morning unlocked the run, opened the pop hole door and went to give them fresh water, food and some yogurt. When I opened the people door I found two of the birds on the roost (the roo and one of the pullets), the other was on the floor in the shavings dead. I have no idea what happened. There were no feathers missing, no blood, no obvious parasites, eyes were closed but clear (no mucous or discharge). Its like she fell asleep and died! I checked out several droppings but saw no blood or worms. I use only pine shavings and D.E. and the coop was clean (not due for another cleaning until this weekend). I do not use any fertilizers or herbicides on the side of the yard that has the coop and run. They were eating a mix of crumbles and pellets (Dumor). It was chilly last night but not enough for a frost or cold enough to kill her. I am at a total lose. I am worried about the other two though they do seem okay at the moment. I plan on doing a total clean out when I get home from work, my DH dumped the food and water this morning and gave them completely fresh just to be safe. Any ideas on what could have happened? I was planning on purchasing four more pure pullets from a member here on BYC but am contemplating putting that off because of this (besides its a large investment and I dont want to add to the flock without knowing what the cause of this could be). Please Help!!!!!

hmm.png
I was going to say, possible egg bound? but 16ish weeks is a little early for that?? maybe her very first egg? IDK, I had a hen die of that, walked into the coop one morning and there she was ALMOST dead, died in my hands about 5 minutes later. Almost wish she were dead when I found her
sad.png

I am sorry for your loss. If you are able to, take the body to be autopsied. It is a local service, but sometimes you are not close enough to drive. You can mail the bird in, but you must look up the shipping directions. You may need to freezer her first? However, this is a common occurance, random death with no apparent reason or any illness noted. I would wonder if there are cocci, and your bird slowly declined, which is often hard to detect. Does she feel 'light' to you, like she is dried out? I just lost my meaties to chill, it dropped to 30 deg after being 85 deg and they got wet in their pen and chilled. It is so hard. I am so bummed over it.
hit.gif
Maybe someone on here can give you some advice.

It sounds like your setup is fine though, and I have had good luck with the Dumor feed. Our local university is where we get post mortems, it is free. I wish you luck and all the best, those Sussex are awesome birds.

Hugs, HenZ

Point of lay is the hardest time for a pullet to get through. If there's anything wrong internally then that's ususally when it expresses itself. It is likely there was nothing you could've done.
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone, I would send her to be autopsied but DH buried her under the dogwood tree. She was his favorite. I told him if any of the others so stress while I'm at work to call me and if another one passes then it has to go for an autopsy. I was wondering if it had something to do with possibly being egg bound. Her vent was one part I didnt check out
roll.png
. She didnt seem light and her crop wasnt hard and no smell but seemed like there was food in it.

That young, her vent probably would've looked normal, anyway. I've always figured the issue was up at the start of the egg-making process since the ones I lost never did lay an egg.

It's always the favorites that die, though. That's the hardest part of it all.

Go ahead and get your new flock. You were planning to quarantine them anyway, right? That period will also give you time to see how the remaining pair of birds do.

If you ever need to have a necropsy done (animal autopsy), do not freeze the animal (unless instructed to by the vet) as this destroys some of the signs that a vet would look for, especially if it is not something obvious. Most vets advise to wrap the animal respectfully in am airtight plastic bag and place in the refrigerator (when dealing with animals that will fit, of course), where the temperature does not get below 33°F, and to schedule the necropsy as soon as possible. I am so sorry for your loss...
sad.png

First off:
hugs.gif

I dont know what it is about SS, but I can't keep them alive either. The two I DO have both have health issues--they come from unrelated stock and both are blind in one eye, and one perpetually sick. Pastrymomma and I were just having this conversation Monday.

Anyway, I am sorry for your loss, Bowow.

Back
Top Bottom