Strange duck

chookhead

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
hey my pekin duck is around 6 months old and quacks very loudly.
i noe this means that its a female but the problem is it has curled tail feathers and i checked its hips and its defently a male so i am confused plz help

Pekins are a loud breed in general, but it's strange to be showing bisexual characteristics this early in life. Has it always been quacking loudly? Sometimes hens get their ovaries damaged, and 'turn into' drakes (grow drae feathers, plumage, etc.), but, this usually occurs in elderly birds. This sounds very strange, because everybody know drakes don't quack (the stereotype quack), but it quacks like a hen? I seriously doubt this is anything problematic (unless you're intending to breed it) so I'd just enjoy having a 'novelty' duck.

kk thnx lol i am sure its a male its body grew like a male from the time i got it so hahah i wonder if it would be able to breed but yea i guess i just have a novelty duck
also it hurt its leg when it was young the previous owner dropped it a few times by accident so could that be the catalyst for its weirdness thnx for the answer second time i post the thread and no one replied

Explain how you "checked it's hips" as there is two ways to know the gender 100% positive. DNA sexing or vent sexing. Checking of hips wouldn't tell you anything as far as gender. There are also the drake curled tail feathers, and the louder QUACK of a female compared to the whasp of a drake.

Also what do you mean by its body grew like a male?

kk thnx lol i am sure its a male its body grew like a male from the time i got it so hahah i wonder if it would be able to breed but yea i guess i just have a novelty duck
also it hurt its leg when it was young the previous owner dropped it a few times by accident so could that be the catalyst for its weirdness thnx for the answer second time i post the thread and no one replied

its hips are too small to allow for eggs and also it has the body and male tendencies to breed with my chickens
also it has curled tail feathers and still quacks loudly

I think that the pelvic bones test only tells if a female is laying. 3 fingers wide between the bones is a yes currently laying. But 1 finger width between the pelvic bones only means the bird is not currently laying. Could be either male or female and have the bones close together.

I agree with CelticOaks on DNA or vent testing being the only sure way other then catching the bird actually laying. I have one female that has a bit of a tail curl but she lays eggs so I know its a girl. I also have several girls that play out the males role in mating (confirmed females through color sex-link breeding). My guess is that you actually have a female judging by the quack. Only way to know for sure is to either get the DNA test or have someone good at vent sexing adults or watch for an egg. Time will tell.

defently not laying it has huge body far too big for a female and the curl feather is pretty big its only 7 months old and it tries to mate with my hens so i dunno where can i get dna testing and for how much

If it is a drake, and if indeed it is breeding your hens, I would suggest separating it from the hens before you end up with chickens with infected or prolapsed oviducts.

Because drakes have a sexual organ and roosters do not. The reproductive tract of hens is not meant to have 'objects' introduced within.

Back
Top Bottom