Strange Eggo

Dakar2009

Songster
Jun 23, 2022
Hi All,

One of my hens occasionally lays these types of eggs. Just looks like extra material on the shell, and it rubs off with my fingernails. Internally the eggs are fine. Any idea why this is happening? I believe she was the last of group to start laying (all the same age).

She's otherwise very healthy and happy!

Odd egg.jpg

Thank you! I figured it was calcium. Those eggs have tough shells, too, but are otherwise fine inside. Aside from their layer feed, they get some cracked corn snacks during the day and some BSF larvae to get them back into their run at the end of the day. They also have access to oyster shell and grit in small cups, so how do I limit one hen's access to calcium? Or is it just her metabolism? She was the last one to start laying by several weeks (but still my favorite 🤫

Thank you! I figured it was calcium. Those eggs have tough shells, too, but are otherwise fine inside. Aside from their layer feed, they get some cracked corn snacks during the day and some BSF larvae to get them back into their run at the end of the day. They also have access to oyster shell and grit in small cups, so how do I limit one hen's access to calcium? Or is it just her metabolism? She was the last one to start laying by several weeks (but still my favorite 🤫
I think the best way is to not force it, some people suggested not to buy calcium feed. Especially if you have roosters due to possible liver problems from the forced calcium. This is what people told me and it seems to be working well for my chickens.

All the others are just fine and lay beautiful (and some IMMENSE) eggs, so I'd hate to modify anything that is working for the others. The oyster shell lasts for a while in the cup, meaning they take what they need (in my mind). She probably just processes calcium differently. I'm going to see if it correlates to them spending extra time in the sun in their extra run...could be the cause of the Vitamin D increase...

A lot of people (me included) don't feed layer feed because the hen can't control her calcium intake that way. It is formulated for heavy layers like Leghorns and RIRs in their laying prime. I keep mostly heritage breeds in a mixed-age flock so I feed all-flock with oyster shell on the side and it has been very good for my girls. Long-term the extra calcium can cause issues in older hens.

A lot of people (me included) don't feed layer feed because the hen can't control her calcium intake that way. It is formulated for heavy layers like Leghorns and RIRs in their laying prime. I keep mostly heritage breeds in a mixed-age flock so I feed all-flock with oyster shell on the side and it has been very good for my girls. Long-term the extra calcium can cause issues in older hens.
Interesting. But she's the only one laying that way, and infrequently now. The other 4 are laying beautifully perfect brown gold nuggets, lol. They all get the same feed and treats.

Interesting. But she's the only one laying that way, and infrequently now. The other 4 are laying beautifully perfect brown gold nuggets, lol. They all get the same feed and treats.
I have an Australorp that lays really weird eggs. She eats what everyone else eats and lays infrequently. The eggs always have a funky stripe down the shell. All chickens are different. Your girl probably just doesn't process calcium the same way. It wouldnt hurt to switch food for a couple weeks and see if the eggs change.

Back
Top Bottom