Strange Eggs

Antibiotics, but the outlook isn't great.
What I'd their diet?
They eat layer pellets, wheat berries, oyster shells, grit, and various table scraps like pea pods and strawberry tops. Sometimes I'll give them bland meat, but no avocado, citrus, garlic/onion, fine bones, etc.

They eat layer pellets, wheat berries, oyster shells, grit, and various table scraps like pea pods and strawberry tops. Sometimes I'll give them bland meat, but no avocado, citrus, garlic/onion, fine bones, etc.
Best to cut out anything other than the layer, oyster shell, and grit.
What is the protein percentage of the layer feed?

Was the shell thinner in that area?
I haven't cracked the egg yet, although it felt pretty sturdy.

How old are these birds, in weeks or months, and how long have they been laying.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
When will the coop and run be attached?
Moving them daily may be causing undue stress.
I have no idea how old they are as the farm we purchased them from didn't tell us. The smallest hen, Gertrude, is very small, peeps loudly, and is taken care of by the larger hens. I suspect she is younger as her first witnessed egg-laying was about three weeks ago. She's the only one I have any sort of guess for.

I'm not planning to ever attach the coop and the run. We have tons, I mean TONS of predators in our area. The foxes even try to dig under the run at night even when the chickens aren't there. Plus, the coop wouldn't fit through the run door in the first place.

The run is very close to the garage. In the morning, when I open the garage/coop door, they happily run to the enclosure without any carrying required. In the evening, when it's time to roost, they sometimes need a little guidance, but they generally go between the coop and the run by themselves. They've learned the way by now. ;)

Best to cut out anything other than the layer, oyster shell, and grit.
What is the protein percentage of the layer feed?
I got a huge bag from the pet store a while ago. I forget the protein percentage, but I'm pretty sure I got 16% or above. I ran out of feed yesterday (that's why I'm feeding them wheat for now) and threw away the bag, but I'm going to get more feed tomorrow if the pet store still has it in stock.

As far as lash eggs, since you don't have photos, I'd encourage you to look up other's photos of lash eggs and see if that looks like what you saw. The tell tale signs are multiple layers of thick, fleshy, almost cheesy looking material.

None of the photos indicate lash egg. It sounds more (by description) like a soft shelled egg preceding/followed by an oversized egg which due to the size didn't shell properly. Glitchy but not unheard of.

Back
Top Bottom