Strange Feather Color in Chick *better pics added*

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
This could be a dumb question, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask. I got chicks at tractor supply just over 3 weeks ago. They looked just like my previous chicks so I assumed they were white plymouth rocks. They came from the pullet bin. Well one of the chicks has started developing a brown blotch of feathers on each wing. The quills in those area are brown too, almost like they have blood in them. I'm not sure if she's just a weirdly colored chick or this should be something I should be worried about. 4 of the chicks are straight white. One other has a couple tiny feathers on each wing that look a little brown too. I don't have a very good camera, but I'll try to attach a couple pics.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/5598222/default/

it is probably fine. I have one all blonde/white chick with one black dot looks like ink almost. these are all brothers and sisters too. only one roo.

Last edited:
Thank you. That does make me feel better. I think I wouldn't have worried so much if it wasn't the color of old blood. Plus I've only dealt with white chickens, so it's been a bit of a surprise seeing some color.

It's not a problem if you can keep roosters. Brick red on the wing of a white chick like that is a masculine trait.

Technically, we can have roosters, but my husband won't be happy. I didn't want fertalized eggs either. Hmm, something to think about. I grow rather attached to the chickies and of course that one is especially sweet.

Here's a better pic of the chick with the brown feathers. There's a bit of mess on the tips of the feathers, so just ignore that. ;)

Another chick with just a little bit of brown feathers on the wings. It's the same on both wings. This one is rather aggressive and has gone after my hand, whereas the one above chick will sit happily in my lap.

Here's 4 of the 6 chicks together. The two with brown feathers and two without. There's one more chick that has a single brown feather on her tail. I didn't get a good pic of that. All three can't possible be males after I got them out of the pullet bin, right? I hope not. I could possible deal with one male, especially if it's as sweet as that one chick is, but I can't have 3.

I don't quite know how to tell you this but I believe you bought six male sexlinks. I suspect you'll see red on all of them eventually. As for how they got in the pullet bin... I've seen straight-run sexlinks at TSC before. The females are purchased by those who know what a "golden comet" or whatever breed-like name they use means and how to tell the difference. That leaves a group of all males. Either someone who doesn't know buys them or they sit until they pretty much give them away to someone who intends to process them. I suspect that yours were the leftovers in a mislabeled bin.

Last edited:
They were in a bin of like 20 or so small yellow chicks labelled pullets. They only had one bin of pullets, the rest were straight run. Would they really have that many leftovers and mix them all into a pullet bin? I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to figure this out. With my luck the last few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all male. We have been commenting on how much fiestier this group of chicks are compaired to last years. It might break my heart a little if they are all really males.

Any that show the dark red on the wing/back are male. Even if it's just a blotch to start. Any with yellowish feathers on the head and neck are male. I'm hoping you have a couple of white rocks in there but the picture you posted of four shows three that are definitely male and one that has the same hefty legs and upright stance.

Back
Top Bottom