Strange growth on one of my quail's feet!

Lynxez

Hatching
May 20, 2023
I'm a new quail owner and I noticed something strange about one of my pet quail when I was cleaning their cage. I haven't noticed this growth before. I don't pick them up a whole lot so this mightve been going on longer without me realizing. I'm not sure if this is an accumulation of dirt and such, or if it's a tumor, or something else, etc. I couldn't find anything else like this online when I searched up common poultry diseases/problems so I've resorted to posting here.

I'm using the format in the pinned thread but ask any additional questions if needed:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Quail, 8-9 weeks, I haven't measured the weight but it seems to be the same weight as the other quails. It's a bit smaller due to being a late hatcher, but that was the case even before this foot problem.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
This one particular quail seems to be struggling to walk. When it walks, it uses it's head because the feet are not easy to walk on.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Not very long as far as I know. Yesterday it was getting run over by other quails I noticed, but I didn't see the feet growth until today.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No. It's just this one quail.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
One of the "balls"/"bubbles" has a bit of bleeding. It may be hard to see in the photo I'll add.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
The only thing I know about this quail is that its head was already tilted. It was a late hatcher, coming a day after the rest. But I'm not sure if/how that could've caused this problem.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
The bird has been eating and drinking. We feed them Purina Game Bird Crumbles.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing yet. I only just noticed this, tried to Google it, and found nothing so I'm posting here.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'd rather be able to treat this at home but if need be, we will take the quail to a vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
IMG20230520114932.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
We use Tractor Supply Premium Pine Shavings.

Thank you in advance for any help.

I don't think it is a growth. It looks like balls of poop got stuck to the feet and dried on there. It is pretty common with quail especially if the cage doesn't get cleaned often. I would try soaking the feet in warm water for a few minutes or try to crush the poop balls off with pliers.

I don't think it is a growth. It looks like balls of poop got stuck to the feet and dried on there. It is pretty common with quail especially if the cage doesn't get cleaned often. I would try soaking the feet in warm water for a few minutes or try to crush the poop balls off with pliers.
Thank you for this, you were right! We put some warm water on its feet and managed to coax all the balls off (except for one or two small ones that didn't quite come off, we figured we can dry it off and try again a day later so not to stress the quail too much).

Thank you for this, you were right! We put some warm water on its feet and managed to coax all the balls off (except for one or two small ones that didn't quite come off, we figured we can dry it off and try again a day later so not to stress the quail too much).
What does your cage look like?
Can you take a few pictures of the set up now?

Some changes need to be made to prevent this.

Back
Top Bottom