Strange new roosting behavior question...

nickajack

Chirping
Mar 19, 2016
West Georgia
This is my first post on this site. I usually just read the forum and learn, so thank you all for that!
bow.gif

I have 6 hens I've raised from one day old, and now they are almost 14 weeks old. They are ISA Browns. Now I have a coop and run that's like Fort Knox, in that it is, or at least has been so far, impervious to any predators. I have installed the electronic automatic door on the coop. It has been working like a charm. The hens have always gone into the coop before the door closes at night, and they are waiting at daybreak every morning for the door to open.
The last three days have been different. Each night I always look out at the coop to make sure the door has closed and theres no hens still outside. However, for the last 3 days all 6 of my hens have been on top of the coop in roosting mode and the door to the coop has already faithfully closed. I've had to go out and manually open the coop door, catch each bird and put them inside the coop, then close the coop door.
My question is why all of the sudden are they doing this? The coop is clean, Nothing that I know of has scared the birds. It has been very hot lately, 95 to 100 degrees. I'm in Georgia) but I leave the vent door open on the back of the coop during the hot weather. Have any of you chickeners ever had something like this happen with your flocks?
Thanks in advance for your help.
smile.png

While ive never had this issue Ive read that if you have a mite infestation or rodent infestation that they might suddenly stop going in their coop since both lie in wait until they are roosting at night and will feed on your birds. Mites would be my guess though.

Shaunassy,
Thanks for your reply. I use Diatomaceous earth all in my coop and bedding because I've read that it will kill mites and such. Not that it's working though. Could be that mites are the reason for this behavior. like you said. I would be interested to know what else can be used to rid a coop of mites if it turns out this is what the problem is.

This is an from excerpt from fresheggsdaily.com
"There are several different types of mites which live either on the chickens or in the coop hiding under roosts, in cracks in the walls and even in the bedding material by day and coming out at night to feed. They bite and chew, extracting blood from the host, and can cause your chickens not only discomfort but also feather loss, anemia or even death in extreme cases. If your hens all of a sudden seem reluctant to go into their coop at night, or stop using the nesting boxes, there's a good chance they might be mite-infested. Normally, the dust baths that chickens take in a dry patch of dirt or sand, preferably enhanced with some wood ash and food-grade diatomaceous earth, will keep them mite-free, but often in extremely hot and humid areas where mite populations flourish or during long periods of wet weather when the chickens might not have the opportunity to bathe, the mites will get the upper hand."

If you can i recommend growing a herb garden for your chickens. Certain herbs put in the nesting boxes or hung in the coop not only repel mites but other pests as well as offer many health benefits for your hens ranging from relieving stress, antibacterial properties, medicinal prperties such as antibiotics, dewormer, immune booster, and its even said to increase laying quality since you hens are heathier and happier. Its safe and natural for your hens to snack on and provides numerous benefits to them.If you dont want to garden though you can buy nesting box herb mixes and herbs to hang.
First though i would go online and find a recipe to make a natural and safe coop discenfectant and deep clean your coop spraying every crack and crevasse and remove all old bedding and adding new clean bedding.

You would also have to ceep treating your coop with the mite repelling/cleaning spray by spraying it a couple of times a for afew weeks to kill any eggs layed that hatched. A mites life cycle is only 5-7 days, but each mite can lay more than 100,000 eggs during that time, so treatment must be repeated and ongoing to completely eradicate them.

On my phone its showing both of us replying the same message multiple times. Just so you know im not doing it, it must be a glitch lol

Back
Top Bottom