Strange Noise **CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP** Video added

myhubbycallsmechickeemama

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Arco, ID
I have a 1 year old BO and when I went to the coop tonight I noticed that one of my girls was making this strange sound. It was my favorite hen so I reached down and picked her up. It sounds like a growl type sound when she exhales, almost like she's getting ready to bock but she doesn't, she just keeps making that sound.

Is she getting sick? She appears fine and has a full crop so I know she's eating and she's not acting lethargic or anything. Am I just being a paranoid mother!?!

Thank you for any advise!!

Last edited:
I don't know if you've ever butchered a chicken but when we was butchering our meaties last year when my hubby was gutting one of them and went to pull the innards out it made the same type of sound.
idunno.gif

I tried to upload a video but I don't know how to do it!! Her feet and comb feel hot and she is starting to cough/sneeze (how do you tell the difference?) and she keeps shaking her head. She is eating and pooping. She acts like her breathing is labored and now she's making this sound on exhale and inhale. OMGosh, I didn't sleep at all last night because of this noise.

Could someone please help me or direct me where to look further!!!

ETA: She has no nasal discharge.

Last edited:
Shaking her head and labored breathing are signs of illness. She could have a respiratory ailment. But it could also be something internal, causing fluid in her lungs or body cavity (I've seen this on necropsy.) It was good that you isolated her. I'd start antibiotics. Can't hurt, might help.

Back
Top Bottom