Strange noises from chicken

Stephh0701

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Florida
This particular chicken has made these sorts of noises for months now but this is the loudest and most frequent I've heard it. My chickens are currently going through some sickness and it might be exasperated by that but I want to make sure it's nothing more serious since I've never heard anything quite like it. Any ideas?

This particular chicken has made these sorts of noises for months now but this is the loudest and most frequent I've heard it. My chickens are currently going through some sickness and it might be exasperated by that but I want to make sure it's nothing more serious since I've never heard anything quite like it. Any ideas?

it sounds like half of a distressed chicken call. What kind of sickness did you say they have

I'm not 100% sure because I haven't had them tested but the state vet I consulted on the phone said symptoms sound like coryza. My chicks and meat birds never caught it despite being in the same barn every night.

Weird update, I just watched her mount one of my other chickens and "mate" her..... I know this is a hen because I've seen an egg come out of her... she hasn't been laying since they've been sick though. Never seen this behavior before in a hen... I've had a hen crow, but not this

I'm not 100% sure because I haven't had them tested but the state vet I consulted on the phone said symptoms sound like coryza. My chicks and meat birds never caught it despite being in the same barn every night.

Weird update, I just watched her mount one of my other chickens and "mate" her..... I know this is a hen because I've seen an egg come out of her... she hasn't been laying since they've been sick though. Never seen this behavior before in a hen... I've had a hen crow, but not this
Hens are capable of turning into roosters so maybe that is what it is

It's certainly odd.. she seems fine otherwise and while she's still making noises it's not all day.. just randomly throughout the day.

Are you able to check for mites around her ears and head? Or just check the ear canal for any kind of infection. Coryza would make sense, because it usually manifests as sores around the face area, but typically something that would be really easy to see.

Her mannerisms when she makes the noise suggest they're maybe something irritating her head area.

Since it's been going on so long I don't think something would be stuck in the back of her throat, but it would be worth a shot checking that as well if you haven't already.

I checked her throat when everything started and periodically since (because gapeworm :hmm). Half of my hens have showed signs of facial swelling (mild) and half haven't shown that symptom. Some have rattled breathing and some don't. It's been going on at least a month now and while my flock is on the larger side I would think it would be done by now. We had been down to 5 eggs a day when we had been getting 19 to 22 a day. We're back up 12 to 15 a day and the color is returning nicely to their egg shells.

I've inspected her pretty regularly but will check again for mites. I do do regular checks for mites on random birds that will let me pick them up and haven't been seeing any.

Back
Top Bottom